B.James Stepped up MKIV - Advice needed please on this one

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: B.James Stepped up MKIV - Advice needed please on this o

Post by Loop Erimder »

:oops: :Scared: on that basis if I had the readies i'd have it
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

It is always a tough one when you have set your sights on something you really want. Personally the only time I have purchased off e.bay is when I have had the opportunity to inspect the goods prior to bidding. Indeed it has meant journies of perhaps several hundred miles BUT it does mean I have confidence in bidding or not.

I apply the same rule if I buy from a dealer - view before committing. I do not have a problem if I pay slightly over the odds if I decide I want the item as I can always earn more money next week ( I have been known to go on short term diets to make up the cash balance) whereas the item will have long since gone and you may have regrets.

At the end of all this it is about enjoyment and it is hard to put a price on that - I paid £10 for my first brand spanking new James MkIV when they could not give them away and was told what a waste of money. I had years of use from it before finally getting it fully restored and straightened for just over £200. I subsequently paid £295 for a Kennet Perfection which I then handed to Edward Barder to restore and what a joy both rods have given me.

I am not saying you should pay way over the odds or be ripped off but there again sometimes when your heart is set on something paying a little bit more is a small price for the delight you derive from it.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Thanks for all your comments chaps :Happy:

However its made me think a bit harder :Confused:

At first on reading the three replies about photos 4 and 6 being a different rod - I thought definitely no, but then on reading the next couple of replies it is obviously the before and after he did the rewhipping as indicated in points 1 and 2.

Hovis - you commented that it "still needs a little work to make it fishable" I don't really understand what needs to be done to make it fishable because on the basis of the description the only work required is points 4 and 5 which are purely cosmetic and will only affect the appearance of the rod - or am I missing something???
Unless someone is going to tell me it does need some specific work before it will be fishable I'm tempted to make an offer, as it appears that a B. James stepped-up MKIV quite rarely comes up for sale.

I've scanned through the vintage dealers lots over the last six months and the only one that came up was a second hand Paul Cook one for £695 ( excellent rods but way above my price). I've also checked Mullocks - including their auction that is on next weekend and none have been for sale.
Do good ones rarely come up for sale or is it just chance there have been none available in the last 6 months or so?

I've no intention of going to look at the rod and so I would be taking a gamble, although there is a 14 day returns policy so presumably if I wasn't happy I could send it straight back.
The only two cane rods I have were bought secondhand from Paul Cook (Scottie MKIV) and Mullocks (B.James MKIV Avon). Both are excellent rods, so buying without handling first doesn't concern me much.
I've used the MKIV from Paul Cook for six years - its been very heavily used, bashed about and left set-up for long periods - propped up against the garage wall, and 4 years ago the ferrule came off when I dismantled the rod so I just superglued it back on :Scared: , but other than a very slight droop and showing signs of wear its been and still is a marvellous rod.

The B. James MKIV Avon has only been used for the last two years and not very often and it does now have a bit of significant droop - which wasn't there to start with - almost certainly my fault for leaving it set-up for a long time :oops: , but its still fine to fish with.
Both rods are now correctly hanging up in their bags in a cool, dark, dry environment.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Prices can be funny...a Paul Cook, Otter Brand by Youngs of Harrow restored S/U Mk IV, surely built on Southwell blanks, went for a lot, lot less recently...to one of our members too....

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I think a argument for buying is that it has the onionshaped handle.It might be good cane and condition is not too bad,
but for a rod where the buttsection is not in original condition the price is (too) high.
I bought a Mk Iv Carp for 135 pounds a few weeks ago.(refurbished) .Its onionshaped ,too and I thinks fair priced.

Tight Lines

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”