A good read in German language.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Wandler

Re: A good read in German language.

Post by Wandler »

Great stuff here! I love that 'Pirol' reel. The Golden Oriole is my favourite bird!

Max Piper looks like a really cool character. And his clothes.. wow! Just what you would expect from a fashion designer!

It is absolutely fascinating to get information like this about angling habits in other countries.

Thanks for putting this on the forum.

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

Just finished a book in one afternoon "Tur Dell - Die Geschichte eines Hechtes" (Tur Dell - The Story of a Pike).
Awesome book, great storytelling. Tur Dell is a mighty pike lady who gave birth to millions of other pike and lives in a secret swim under the roots of an old tree. She is a myth to the local fishermen and anglers and has destroyed many a net and cracked even more lines. She unfortunately gets caught in the first chapter of the book when she got careless during spawning, but one of her sons - also called Tur Dell - persists one adventure after another and becomes a legendary fish.

The second book I just started to read is called "Im Netz der Fische" (In the Net of Fishes), is an anthology of fishy stories compilated by Albert Drexler. Authors are, to name a few: Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Georg Britting, Berndt Caspar Klingenberger, Wolfdietrich Schnurre, Wilhelm Kovácsházy, Liam O'Flaherty, Izaak Walton, Ernest Hemingway, Charles Ritz, Negley Farson, Moray McLaren, and many more well known and unknown writers.
I just finished the story "Tagebuch eines Herbstanglers" (Diary of an Autumn Angler) which is hilarious. It starts very romantic with the question if the mist is falling or if its rising and such a like and gets more and more absurd and funny and crazy and in the end it turns out he had.... ...oh! Read it for yourself.
Someone should translate the best stuff in english and give them to medlar press. "Fishing further abroad" I would love to give them a selection.

I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

My favourite is Fischwaid in Bach,Fluss,See of Eugen Hager,a swiss fisherman of the 30 ies,40 ies and 50ies of 20th century.
In this book he discribes fishwater,stuff and how to do.
The second is Bastelbuch für den Sportfischer of Hager,too.Here he dicribes rodbuilding,selfmaking of floats and lures and basics of
flytying.

Angelsport im Süsswasser von Dr Karl Heintz is a very detailed fishingbook of ca 1910.Interesting to read.This man developed the Heintz-spoon
and bought his stuff at cordings of picadilly,Farlows,Allcocks,Hardy which was not really common in Germany at this time....

Greetings

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Really interesting thread and those plus fours :Cool: I bet Ashby Cut will be modelling a pair at the next gathering :Chuckle:

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Tinca Tinca wrote:My favourite is Fischwaid in Bach,Fluss,See of Eugen Hager,a swiss fisherman of the 30 ies,40 ies and 50ies of 20th century.
well the fisherman in Hager's book looks more casual in his clothing than Max Piper
but nevertheless he is successful with the rolling leger (4 lb chub)
and the cover of Hager-Lorenz

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

What was with tobaccosmell on fingers and bait?
I donot know any picture of Hager without cigarette.

greetings

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

I can not remember in which book - but I read somewhere that some angling myth buster fished with a paste of bread and tobacco and cigarette-ashes and it didn't matter.
...or was it Jack Hargreaves, who told this story?
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”