Long common...

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Snape
Bailiff

Long common...

Post by Snape »

Amazing story from CC about sightings of the 4ft common at Redmire on 2 occasions here http://redmirepool.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=998
WOW! :o
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Long common...

Post by Beresford »

WoW! I wish somebody would see it and get a decent photograph. I along with so many others would dearly love to see it. And to think it might be 80 or so years old, uncaught and hidden in that small pool, amazing. I write shaking my head.

I've caught a common that I actually measured at 38/39 inches but it was lean, not thick set but to imagine a fish another 9 or so inches longer just wow!

It makes me want to fish Redmire, I can feel it pulling at me again…
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

and then there is Rob the bailiff's (gateleaner) account from 2008. Reproduced from an email:

"Once down the shallows in the cow drink swim it was an incredible sight. As if all the Royalty of Redmire was out on show. I saw a huge Linear of around 30lb plus which swam below me when up the Willow, a Common that came in close which we both thought was at least 35lb. So many fish that looked near and around 25lb.
And then we both saw this shape materialise in the centre of the shallows. Mike said "thats two fish". I said "yes"
Then a few seconds later the dark shape rose a little closer to the surface and it was clearly one fish.
"oh my god!" we both may have said. I can't remember.
The tail was a ridiculous distance from the head. It looked as if it belonged in the sea! We watched it for 20 minutes. The light and angle was such that it remained a black shape. It barely moved and that was what was so strange. It was so different to the other fish which were parading around. It was the only fish that barely moved. It had picked its spot so well that when you climbed the tree it was always behind the leaves. It did turn in a circle a couple of times and but the width was hard to gauge. What did happen though was that the really big common did swim out towards it and then turned about 6ft this side of the fish so that you could compare the length and the big one looked a foot longer!! It was mad. It could have been the Ghost of the King?
If the fish had swam towards us to say hello there may have been discovered two petrified bodies a day or two later. Instead there was a gentle but powerful swirl and it was gone. I vaguely saw a huge shadow making its way damward."

and the account by billybear as well: http://redmirepool.biz/forum/viewtopic. ... n&start=30
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Reading CC's post from th Redmire link it seems clear that there not only definitely is a 4ft common in Redmire but that its quite a high probability that it is the Redmire King, although slimmed down a bit - hardly surprising as it would now be pushing 80 years old.
So just perhaps the day is finally approaching when all the sceptics will have to eat their own words................

Come July the world will be much wiser!!! :wink:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Redmire Pool”