Allcocks - Range of Rods

The Allcocks Rods forum.
SeanM
Tench

Re: Allcocks Range of Rods

Post by SeanM »

When restoring 10ft 6in and 11ft 3 piece rods I normally fit 4 rings plus the tip ring on the tip section, 3 on the middle and 1 on the butt.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Yes that makes sense thank you very much, I'm off fishing see whats lurking in the shallows tight lines guys

Kind regards Trevor

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

I figure your right about their value untill they have been restored - refurbished, for some people it's sentimental value. Nice to see them on the bank being used I can tell you I don't and haven't seen many.

Kind regards Trevor

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

In reference to the Allcocks Avons recently sold in ebay. The labels do look like that of of a late model but the ferrules have spigots which i've always assumed were used on earlier rods. So I'm a bit confused. :Confused:

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Yeah they do have spigot ferrules the cork handles are shives and not wrapped, nice rod though and I have got a near match for the green whipping thread. Seems my rod may have been varnished with tinted varnish as it has a rather nice yellow orange ish color.

I'm looking forward to using it oneday for Tench Chub and similar sized fish.

Kind regards Trevor

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Older varnish goes coloured in time...you can sometimes copy that colour successfully with Ronseal Outdoor Gloss Varnish...it's quite tinted.

Spigot ferrules tend to be used on through actioned rods....like fly rods, for example...as they help support the cane internally as well and carry the load of flexing through to the next cane section, just as serrations do on the outside.

It doesn't always work though....I'm just re-setting the ferrule on an Allcocks New Superb that has split its varnish and worked loose. Perhaps if it had had a spigot as well as the serrations it might have held?

It also had a punch into the brass to lock it rather than a steel pin....shoddy!

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Yes thats right the spigot ferrules are also serrated and wrapped the spigot expands the cane making it a tight fit in the ferrule removing the pin helps removal. I have read that pinning a rods ferrule isn't always a good idea, however whacking it with a center punch is certainly a cheap trick probably done by a previous owner to tighten it up a little, some decent glue would have done a better job. The ferrules on the Allcocks Avon are coated in a green tinted varnish - lacker, looks nice.

My Allcocks Avon is the only Allcocks rod I own at the moment and I am very happy with it, I will post the tip taper dimentions for the Alcocks Avon in a day or two for anyone interested, Initial measurement would suggest the Avon has more power than a lucky strike or record breaker.

I like rods with a through action and I have been using my Millwards Floatrover for all my coarse fishing and so far it has handled everything including Tench up to 4lb. I went fishing a couple of days ago and had some lovely Rudd to 1/2lb a friend of mine caught some great roach to 3/4lb when he hooked the first one he thought he was into a Tench F1 Roach lol.

Regards Trevor

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just to confirm, the centrepunch into the ferrule was definitely done by Allcocks....the rod was unrestored and I've confirmed it with another rod recently restored. Not very clever. A tenoned ferrule would have been a far better idea on this through-actioned rod anyway.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Just in the process of restoring a Lucky strike and it too has one of the female ferrules with a punched in dent to stop it coming adrift. There are no splints either, just tapered down and whipped over.

Bumbles "The Feathero" I am working on is similar but the tapered part of the ferrule is hammered into a hex shape around the blank. I had to file these tapered hex to achieve a smooth ramp to get decent finish on the whipping.
The top ferrule had split along one of the edges of where it had been reshaped and the split continued half way up the ferrule so this one had to be replaced. This seems to be a far more common occurrence with Allcocks Ferrules than other makers.

Wal.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

If you hadn't of mentioned about the ferrules being center punched to help hold them on the rod I might have thought they were witness marks.

I would like to own a Luck Strike oneday I quite like the yellow with black tippings, I am refurbishing a 6' #3/4 wt Farlows Midge brook trout fly rod it has had two coats of varnish just need to order some H&H English pattern snake guides then off fishing with it to catch some Roach and rudd.

Trevor.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”