Aspindale and Sons Severndale.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Aspindale and Sons Severndale.

Post by Marc »

I remember Mr AC's one in one out rule Dave. A rule I adopted myself but now I see it's more of a guideline I may have to buy some more rods.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Prince of Durham wrote:I remember Mr AC's one in one out rule Dave. A rule I adopted myself but now I see it's more of a guideline I may have to buy some more rods.
Hurrah for you, Sir !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Prince of Durham wrote:I remember Mr AC's one in one out rule Dave. A rule I adopted myself but now I see it's more of a guideline I may have to buy some more rods.

It keeps him happy and it gives us some lovely pictures of old cane rods to drool over.....you carry on Mal, we love to see the brilliant restoring you do. :Thumb:

That looks a lovely rod Mal that Aspindale, well done on a good buy. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

24 hours since it arrived ... and I've had a good look at this rod.

I'm still a happy chappy ... and have been galvanised into action by the coming season.

OK ... so the varnish is a bit 'treacle thick' in places ... and some of the whipping even made my efforts look good ... and a couple of the guides had been bent a bit out of shape at some point ... BUT ... it deserves to be fished ... and The Old Estate lake trip in early July is now my objective !!!

Therefore I have decided to retain all the intermediate whippings and the majority of varnish as it is ... and I've spent the afternoon and evening removing only the guides and their whippings ... gently reshaping the couple with bent legs ... removing the excess varnish from the guides there is no corrosion to speak of an any of them ... and preparing the rod section to accept new whippings, which I have now started.

I had a supply of black/silver twist in my little box of bits ... and will search for black/green twist which the rod originally bore in time for a full rebuild over winter (anyone know of a source ?)

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It's scrubbed up ok, I think.

The handle cleaned up perfectly ... as did the guides ... and the whippings have all had the first coat of sealer. Definitely ready for the new season !

(PS ... I turned the tip while I was at it !)

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

That looks nice,Sir.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Now completed, and ready for the Old Estate Lake day out ... with her 10ft 6in and Threadline sisters.

Image Image

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”