Aspindale Avondale match rod

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
CrayCane
Chub

Aspindale Avondale match rod

Post by CrayCane »

Anyone know if this rod is the correct length or did anyone on here buy it (or sell it)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aspindale-034 ... true&rt=nc

From the pictures it looks complete and against the rod bag it doesn't look short in any way but 9' 8" seems a strange length for a 'match rod'. I contacted the seller and he assured me it was 9' 8".

Pete

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: Aspindale Avondale match rod

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,I think the correct lenght should be 10-6.Reelmaker

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

If you look at the thread linked below you'll see my Aspindale's "Avondale," which measures a full 10ft 6in when made up. The only references to split cane "Avondale's" refer to the length as 10ft 6in.

I don't have an original bag, but would have thought that the edging on the side would have continued along the bottom, so perhaps the bag has been shortened ... but that's just a supposition on my part.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 13&t=13214

Apparently there was an Aspindale's "Avondale" at 11 ft ... but that was with a whole cane butt and middle section with split cane tip.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

What a lot of work to do on a short rod!

All three sections shortened and the bag as well....phew!

The clue is the short distance between tip eye and the next one down, if the tip section rings had been re-situated you'd never know.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

yes ,mines 10ft-6ins as well, looks like some ones put a lot of work on it to make it look original,allways do some research on tff before bidding on the dreaded ebay,were all here to help one another.chubman.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have a built cane Aspindale Avondale and I think mine is also 10 feet 6 inches ( I will measure it when I get home tonight). Mine is also in an original bag and has original stoppers which look pretty much the same as those in the ebay photos. One easy way to tell if it is original is to look for the number written in indian ink on the bottom section just below the female ferrule, just above the male ferrule on the middle section, just below the female ferrule on the middle section and just above the male ferrule on the top section.

The number on my rod at these locations is 9 - all it meant was that the sections had been individually matched to one another but if the rod has been cut down some if not all these numbers will be missing unless someone has really gone to town on this.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks gentlemen. I didn't bid on it as it clearly didn't look right. It was the three equal length sections and matching rod bag that had me puzzled.

Pete

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”