Handling Code

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Handling Code

Post by Vole »

From the Wikipedia entry: "CA glue was in veterinary use for mending bone, hide, and tortoise shell by at least the early 1970s. The inventor of cyanoacrylates, Harry Coover, said in 1966 that a CA spray was used in the Vietnam War to retard bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be brought to a hospital. Butyl cyanoacrylate has been used medically since the 1970s outside the US, but, due to its potential to irritate the skin, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration did not approve its use as a medical adhesive until 1998 with Dermabond.[10] Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing (stitches).[11] The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection (suture canals through the skin's epidermal, dermal, and subcutaneous fat layers introduce extra routes of contamination),[11] and final cosmetic appearance.[12][13]"
So pretty safe.
And makes for a much better video than the unhooking of a never-ending series of minnows.

One thing puzzles me - having twice lifted the barbel in the landing net, why not weigh it in same, rather than muck around transferring it to a weighing sling?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

My guess is Vole, and it's only a guess.
If somebody wanted an accurate weight of a fish, they wouldn't weigh it in a landing net, and then subtract the weight of the net from the scale weight. Potential there for a variable, and therefore an inaccurate weight.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I superglue dog biscuits on.... Works a treat.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Fishing Films”