Re: First Trip Out ....but I forgot the Prawns

Post by Julian »

Good carp, well done.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Nobby, these bearings are very often the problem. To get them totally clean they need several timespans in an ultrasonic bath using a tooth brush in addition to remove all of the old grease. In the DAM reels I serviced lately I afterwards found perfect gearings. Once relubed you would think they are new. Time consuming and resulting in very dirty hands, but in the end worth all the effort. There clearly must be differences in the steel components. Also the bearings for the Mitchell 308's/408's are too easily worn in my opinion. At least when compared with a heavily used DAM of the same age. I can't praise them high enough for their quality.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You might be right about the 308/408 ball bearing races Old Tackle as all the spares are gone....you can't buy them any more.

I think the 410 needle bearing are still prone to water damage even though there is a dust cap, because I'm forever finding them brown and rusty.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:Excellent news, rod and reel both christened with a fine fish.

Rodrill rods don't show up that often, but they always seem well-made and quite strong too, I've yet to find a fine-tipped light rod from them. They were made in Tottenham N15 in Collingwood Road and for a while in 1963 they also marketed Black Swan rods.
Nobby i had a chat with Brian Chapman today and he told me they supplied Rodrill with cane rod,s. Rodrill also got their rod,s from other makers and put their own badge on.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Rodrill used to produce rods for lots of different companies from brought in blanks. Norman (can't remember his second name) was the chap I used to deal with in the 80's when we used to have some of the Walkers of Trowell rods built by them. A lot of the Bob Church rods came from there too. Most of their glass and early carbon rods were built on Sportex blanks I believe but they also built a lot of rods on the North western glass blanks too. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't buy their cane blanks in from various sources.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I get the impression that most folk bought in blanks from elsewhere from time to time. It might go some way to explaining why rods vary so much.......

Chapmans seem to have supplied half the country at one time or another!!

Return to “Rodrill of London Cane Rods”