Help identifying a Sealey spinning rod please

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
PDuffield
Grayling

Help identifying a Sealey spinning rod please

Post by PDuffield »

Hi chaps, I'm trying to identify the model name of a Sealey rod that came my way a while ago.

It's 8ft 2 section split cane, fitted with bridge rings and a 23 inch cork handle with sliding reel bands. From the action I'd say it is a medium spinning rod.

Some of the letters are missing from the name transfer, what I can make is: C_ A_TE_. The letter between the A and T looks like it might be an S.

I've attached some pictures, any help identifying the rod would be appreciated thanks.

Paul

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Help identifying a Sealey spinning rod please

Post by AshbyCut »

Sorry, Sir ... can't help much other than to confirm it's probably an early rod ... possibly 1956 or earlier.

My Sealey Octopus leaflet from 1957 shows that the only spinning rods mentioned are, even at that early date, all solid glass.

The only 8ft. 2 piece built cane rods listed in the "Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment Price List 1964" under the 'Spinning, Boat, and Sea Rods' section are both sea fishing rods, the 'Sea Sprite' and the 'Sea Standard.'

Those are the earliest listings I have for Edgar Sealey.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

PDuffield wrote:Hi chaps, I'm trying to identify the model name of a Sealey rod that came my way a while ago.

It's 8ft 2 section split cane, fitted with bridge rings and a 23 inch cork handle with sliding reel bands. From the action I'd say it is a medium spinning rod.

Some of the letters are missing from the name transfer, what I can make is: C_ A_TE_. The letter between the A and T looks like it might be an S.

I've attached some pictures, any help identifying the rod would be appreciated thanks.

Paul

Can't quite see by your pics Paul but could it be ...….master?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

How about COASTER. Just a guess but it could be a Mackerel or Bass spinning rod.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote:How about COASTER. Just a guess but it could be a Mackerel or Bass spinning rod.

Wal.
... or 'Craster' after the fishing village on the Northumbrian coast ???

http://www.crastervillage.org.uk/Things ... ippers.htm
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

AshbyCut wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:How about COASTER. Just a guess but it could be a Mackerel or Bass spinning rod.

Wal.
... or 'Craster' after the fishing village on the Northumbrian coast ???

http://www.crastervillage.org.uk/Things ... ippers.htm

mmmm Craster Kippers..

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

It seems rather to be "O" than "R". I would vote for COASTER,Sir :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Thanks chaps, I think COASTER is probably right, it matches the style of rod and fits what is left of the missing letters.

Paul

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Rather nice rod, I have the Octo spin Heavy had a great day out with it yesterday and caught three common carp to 12 Lb 13. 1/2 oz no problem I may have once seen a COASTER rod. I may say it certainly will be once you have printed off a new decal for it, please show us some pictures of the refurb if you do one.

Regards Trefor

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”