Daiwa 120m

The Other Reels forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Daiwa 120m

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Hi guys, I've been offered a Daiwa 120m closed face reel in reasonable cosmetic but mechanically sound condition for £15, should I buy it and what advantage does a closed face reel have over a normal fixed spool?
Thanks.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

SeanM
Tench

Re: Daiwa 120m

Post by SeanM »

I'd certainly buy it at that price. Closed faced reels are great trotting reels, much more suited to it than a fixed spool. Not reels for big fish angling and not as nice to play a fish on as a centre pin, but a better all-rounder in poor conditions. The two main advantages are: one handed operation - just press the button and the line is delivered to your finger ready to cast; no awkward fiddling with the bail arm when you hook a fish - just wind and the line is taken off your finger.

As in all things fishing it's very much a personal opinion, but at that price it's worth a try.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

I agree with SeanM,

I'd most definitely buy it at that kinda money,

These reels are perfect for float fishing and once mastered how to use em which is not difficult most tend to never look back,

About 95 % of my fishing now is using quality close face reels as this must surely tell one something :Wink:

I personally don't use the clutch on any close face reel and much prefer to backwind but I'm old school and many used to fish like this,
However if you prefer to use the clutch the Daiwa 120m probably has the best clutch of all close face reels out there so as far as I can see you certainly won't go far wrong with this reel and I'd definitely grab it at that price while you can :Thumb:

Be lucky :Hat:

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

Totally agree, I've got a couple of pins but I always come back to my closed face reels one being the 120m, although more recently I've been using my Johnson Century. I think for that price you have to try it, at the end of the day it is personal preference and what feels comfortable. Good luck.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I haven't used one for ages, but they are great in a frisky wind.
Is it just me, or does anyone else find that little bit of drag when casting helps to keep a swing-tip in order?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Well... Talk about coincidence....! I was at work on Monday (nights :Cry: ) and one of the night cleaners came over and bellowed "if I was the mad sod who used old fishing gear" somewhat taken aback, I replied in the affirmative, and he produced a carrier bag and said...

"Ere'y'are mate, you can have this, it's no good to me, my mate got diagnosed with terminal cancer and he gave me all his gear, but I can't use this reel"

He thrust the bag into my hands and hurriedly departed, with his words ringing in my ears, I opened the bag and slowly unwrapped the bubblewrap from the box and was surprised to find a Daiwa Harrier 125M closed face match reel.... It was virtually brand new.... (it felt a bit stiff, but a clean up and a light oiling would sort it....) I got home on Tuesday morning and pulled it apart and the source of the stiffness became evident.... it had been loaded to the lip (and beyond) with line of about 8lb test... I stripped it off and re-spooled it with 60 yards of Drennan Floatfish in 3.2lbs and it's now as sweet as a nut, no stiffness and everything works fine, there was even a spare spool in the box along with all the instructions... I do love a nice surprise :Thumb: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I would buy it at that price if you don't get on with it. You will probably get your money back so yes go for it.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Harry wrote:Well... Talk about coincidence....! I was at work on Monday (nights :Cry: ) and one of the night cleaners came over and bellowed "if I was the mad sod who used old fishing gear" somewhat taken aback, I replied in the affirmative, and he produced a carrier bag and said...

"Ere'y'are mate, you can have this, it's no good to me, my mate got diagnosed with terminal cancer and he gave me all his gear, but I can't use this reel"

He thrust the bag into my hands and hurriedly departed, with his words ringing in my ears, I opened the bag and slowly unwrapped the bubblewrap from the box and was surprised to find a Daiwa Harrier 125M closed face match reel.... It was virtually brand new.... (it felt a bit stiff, but a clean up and a light oiling would sort it....) I got home on Tuesday morning and pulled it apart and the source of the stiffness became evident.... it had been loaded to the lip (and beyond) with line of about 8lb test... I stripped it off and re-spooled it with 60 yards of Drennan Floatfish in 3.2lbs and it's now as sweet as a nut, no stiffness and everything works fine, there was even a spare spool in the box along with all the instructions... I do love a nice surprise :Thumb: :Hat:
I love little surprises like that, you lucky lucky fella....and virtually brand new, happy days hey :Thumb:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Buy it Jeremy, if you don't like it for whatever reason sell it on . :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

And if you don't like it Jeremy let me know and I'll buy it :dance2:

Return to “Other Reels”