Avocet v Barbus Max. ll

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
Plumtart
Ruffe

Avocet v Barbus Max. ll

Post by Plumtart »

The late all split cane B.James Avocet was usually supplied with stand-off rings, making it a very good tench float rod. With low cradle rings it transforms nicely into a good lead rod for big chub and barbel. My question - how does the taper and power compare to the Mk II Barbus Maximus?
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Avocet v Barbus Max. ll

Post by Black Prince »

I have two b James avocet all split cane built rods they are my tench rods both have high bell rings they have a lovely through action I have yet to get a tench on them above 31/2 lb but they handle these nicely I am afraid the barder rod I haven't got one to compare but my thinking was two avocets half the price of the barder rod and no waiting while the barder one is built there is a Paul cook barbel rod ready now on a vintage tackle site now but out of my reach now Mike :Hat:

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Mike:

Although in my opinion it's not as wonderful as the early 50s rods, my feeling is that the all split cane Avocet is a very under-rated rod. As you've discovered, it's a wonderful tencher. But it changes character quite amazingly when re-equipped with cradle rings, and becomes an excellent barbel rod, with great power in the lower third. As a three-piece it's much easier to carry, too.

I'm content with its ability, but I just wondered how different the Barder could be. (Note: for some reason people have started referring to EB deferentially as Mr. Barder. Embarassing. I expect he'd much prefer to be addressed as Edward.) It's really important to remember that they're fishing rods, not objects of desire just for their bragging rights. The James rod can be had for about £250 and the Barders are closing in on £2,000. Even the most desirable and perfectly restored 1950s and 1960s rods are about half that. Although a lot of anglers swear on their mother's life that this or that taper is the ultimate, in reality there isn't that much that one can do that several others can't do just as well. The bloody crayfish on the Kennet certainly can't tell the difference.

We live in interesting times.

Plum.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

So what's the difference between a whole cane butt Avocet and a built cane one, in terms of performance? I am lucky to have a mystery Avocet like rod ( whole cane butt, exact taper etc.etc) with no writing on, that I obtained from eBay for very little money, and it's a dream to use for trotting.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Low bells fitted to a avocet yes it would be some thing to think about the reference to mr barder is only because I don't know him at all and didn't know how people address him £2000 will buy a lot of avocets mike :Hat:

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”