Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Early post ww2 Rapidex , Floatcraft & Flick- em study

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am Hi John, here's a few pics of an early Rapidex which may be useful for your study. I found it on ebay a couple of weeks back. It had a broken centre cap but I managed to find an identical one to replace it.
I have taken a shot of the spindle end and there is a very slight chamfer to it but it's not enough to easily press the spool onto. I think this could be the reason we see many with the broken centre caps. It's always better to open the release latch when replacing the spool just in case the cap breaks, after all, they are getting on a bit and it isn't the strongest material.
As you can see from the pics, the rivet staking holes are round, rounded Allcocks type winding handles, no web strengthening and the wrinkle finish paint. It spins beautifully by the way and has no noticeable spindle wear.

Wal.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Well done Wal, this reel looks to me to be pretty much the same as mine which is badged as an Allcocks Flickem Perfection. As I explained in my earlier post, I cannot find the pictures of mine that I posted on here, so I have asked if Nobby would kindly confirm the answer to Keston's questions for me, as he has my pictures.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am Hi John, here's a few pics of an early Rapidex which may be useful for your study. I found it on ebay a couple of weeks back. It had a broken centre cap but I managed to find an identical one to replace it.
I have taken a shot of the spindle end and there is a very slight chamfer to it but it's not enough to easily press the spool onto. I think this could be the reason we see many with the broken centre caps. It's always better to open the release latch when replacing the spool just in case the cap breaks, after all, they are getting on a bit and it isn't the strongest material.
As you can see from the pics, the rivet staking holes are round, rounded Allcocks type winding handles, no web strengthening and the wrinkle finish paint. It spins beautifully by the way and has no
Hi Wal
Much appreciated thank you , I saw that reel for sale and was really annoyed with myself for missing it . I completely forgot about it . A fabulous bargain.

Those images are great and really help with the timeline. I'm starting to feel the best thing to look at for the timeline is the spindle.
Your new reel is of course very early. It has a couple of features including the spindle and A/R lever retaining clip that help verify what changes I can see .
I will post images later but that spindle is what I was referring to as the Flat type or flat sided , it has very square /flat sides with just a small taper /chamfer at the very top . The first ones have a more rounded slope and the one after the flat sided one is a bit larger with a draft shallow chamfer.
I think the A/R clip changed before the spindle and this reel helps me see that .

The paint on that reel is great isn't it , so much of it remaining , nice buy :Hat:
John

Ps. I forgot to say ..... yiur observations over the broken cap and Chamfer on the spindles changing may just be the reason they changed the spindle design so much in the first year or so .
Last edited by Keston on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 am
Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am
Well done Wal, this reel looks to me to be pretty much the same as mine which is badged as an Allcocks Flickem Perfection. As I explained in my earlier post, I cannot find the pictures of mine that I posted on here, so I have asked if Nobby would kindly confirm the answer to Keston's questions for me, as he has my pictures.
Ted
I put the link to your reel up earlier .
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... l+flick+em

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Keston wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am
Ted
Thanks for that John, I hope that what you can see from the pictures of my reel and Wal's reel help with your dating research!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm
Keston wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am
Ted
Thanks for that John, I hope that what you can see from the pictures of my reel and Wal's reel help with your dating research!
Yes indeed Ted .
Your reel has helped me firm up the timeline of changes between the spindles ,A/R clip, spring screw and handles.
What more is it shows us J.W. Youngs were producing and supplying their very earliest models after WW2 for Allcocks aswell as for themselves.

Of course it's all my daft theories until someone more intelligent gives some input .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Spindle tops , all "Pre LTD "

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Sorry to intrude folks, as I can't add anything to this discussion, but I do have a question. I have a couple of just pre-war Flick Em Perfection (Homer & Modarcom branded). Now, if I compare them to my Rapidex (not an early one) the question that springs to mind is, was the development of the Rapidex a way of cutting costs on manufacturing the Flick Em by eliminating the supporting spokes and moving to a single casting (and so cutting the number of parts, assembly costs etc.)?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Duckett wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm Sorry to intrude folks, as I can't add anything to this discussion, but I do have a question. I have a couple of just pre-war Flick Em Perfection (Homer & Modarcom branded). Now, if I compare them to my Rapidex (not an early one) the question that springs to mind is, was the development of the Rapidex a way of cutting costs on manufacturing the Flick Em by eliminating the supporting spokes and moving to a single casting (and so cutting the number of parts, assembly costs etc.)?
You are not intruding at all, the whole idea is for us all to learn more about an interesting subject. I do not have an answer to your question, but I am sure that Nobby, Keston and others would have an opinion!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Duckett wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm Sorry to intrude folks, as I can't add anything to this discussion, but I do have a question. I have a couple of just pre-war Flick Em Perfection (Homer & Modarcom branded). Now, if I compare them to my Rapidex (not an early one) the question that springs to mind is, was the development of the Rapidex a way of cutting costs on manufacturing the Flick Em by eliminating the supporting spokes and moving to a single casting (and so cutting the number of parts, assembly costs etc.)?
Ted is right of course , all about sharing ideas or information.
I'm glad you posted , it prompted me to get out the pre war flick em for comparison . What struck me was how they seem to have kept to a familiar design but maybe modernized and updated things a bit , may be so the changes are not so much of a shock to it's customer base .
It could well be you right in saying new developments cut cost , maybe also down to other post war issues .

What else struck me is the design of the pre war spindle, very similar to the last found with the last of the " Pre LTD " reels .

So they went from the pointy spindle Pre war to 3 versions of flatter spindle and boss . Then back to a pointy spindle and boss .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Early "Pre LTD " reels have a retaining clip ( washer/spacer ) on top of the ratchet dog thingy .

This is then relocated under the dog part way through the "Pre LTD reels " . Note we now see a "bobble " around the pawl lever arm rivet .

Towards the end of the "Pre LTD reels " we see the clip / washer /spacer thing return to the top . Note also we see a hole In the pivot pin thingy .

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”