What model is this reel ?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

What model is this reel ?

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps, I think I asked this before but what is the model ? thanks DaveImageImage

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: What model is this reel ?

Post by Luga00 »

It's an Allcocks Record Breaker, I believe.
Russ

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Yes, your correct, I've seen one for sale on a vintage tackle site.Reelmaker

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks for that chaps
Dave

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes one of JW Young's last reels I think. Made in the mid-Sixties for Allcock and still made briefly after both firms were bought out by Shakespeare after letting Leonard Matchan buy into both firms. He sold them out within three years.....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I had one and really couldn't get on with it, that rachet lever is a reel bugger to use.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Yes, Record Breaker, the reel which broke my heart.

I think it was in 1968, I worked on a farm for the entire school holidays, taking all the overtime I could, saving up for "The finest trotting reel ever made" - Billy Lane's description of the Match Aerial in the 1968 Allcocks catalogue.
The price was 124' 3d.

But when I arrived at the shop clutching my hard-earned cash, I found I was 10 bob short.

The shopkeeper would not consider my offer to pay off the 10 shillings in installments, so I opted for the Record Breaker at a mere 62'. convincing myself that it was a very similar reel, and I would have cash to spare.

Bad decision, even for a 16 year old. I was never happy with the reel, although it performed perfectly adequately.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Banksy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:35 pm Yes, Record Breaker, the reel which broke my heart.

I think it was in 1968, I worked on a farm for the entire school holidays, taking all the overtime I could, saving up for "The finest trotting reel ever made" - Billy Lane's description of the Match Aerial in the 1968 Allcocks catalogue.
The price was 124' 3d.

But when I arrived at the shop clutching my hard-earned cash, I found I was 10 bob short.

The shopkeeper would not consider my offer to pay off the 10 shillings in installments, so I opted for the Record Breaker at a mere 62'. convincing myself that it was a very similar reel, and I would have cash to spare.

Bad decision, even for a 16 year old. I was never happy with the reel, although it performed perfectly adequately.

Banksy Looks like you went to the wrong shop

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

No, my parents would have made my life Hell, if I'd done that!

"Do NOT buy anything with a loan, apart from a house!"

Must admit, as a 16 year old, I would have been very tempted.
But then my Mum would not have been impressed when Big Vern came round to collect his dues.
:Scared:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Ljm183 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:22 pm
Banksy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:35 pm Yes, Record Breaker, the reel which broke my heart.

The price was 124' 3d.

Banksy Looks like you went to the wrong shop

Just picked this thread up and was rather amused by the cartoon - it is very similar to the animated adverts one could see at the pictures before the trailers rolled - one I can recollect was a chap dragging another into a shop uttering the words or a close approximation "err Burt this is the place"
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”