Efgeeco Rigid Rod Holdalls

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Plumtart
Ruffe

Efgeeco Rigid Rod Holdalls

Post by Plumtart »

My holdall needs a few reinforcing stitches.

Can anyone explain for me, how Efgeeco managed to sew the heavy moulded leather base onto the bottom of the canvas material tube? I understand that it's possible to reach into cavities with a long arm 'patcher' sewing machine, but no machine that I know of has an arm THAT long. Of course, the main canvas 'tube' can be turned inside-out, but I still cannot see how that bulky lot could be accommodated within a machine's 'throat' area, whilst getting the needle arm and bed into close proximity.

The more I look, the more impossible it appears to be.

(Unless the tube can be crunched up onto a 'patcher' arm, and the thick leather base introduced onto the end).

Any leather workers out there?

W.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: Efgeeco Rigid Rod Holdalls

Post by Reedling »

I think I understand what you are getting at although I cannot see in my minds eye the holdall you are talking of. I have just had a look at my Stephens holdall that has a rigid plastic base and the thick plastic material body tube t which is stitched to it, has a seam that runs up the side. if yours is the same they probably sewed he bottom on whilst the tube was open and then run the machine up the side to close it.

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Reedling:

It's the earlier Efgeeco version - circa 1965. They're really nice things, and absolutely fitting for the rods we're likely to be carrying.

I suppose that's possible, but the apparent stitching sequence suggests not. Hum?????????????????????????

W.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I have stitched one on before by hand you need to remove the wood strengthening strip then you can reach to the bottom of the bag. You need to use the two needle method that a saddle maker would use. Not easy but can be done.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Harry H:

Thank you.

Yes, I've done the odd thousand or two such stitches, over the years. So I CAN get to the connection, and re-stitch by hand, if necessary. But that doesn't tell me how Efgeeco stitched these thing by machine, all those years ago. I'd be really pleased to have access to the technique.

W.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”