when is a wildie not a wildie

This forum is for discussing carp.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: when is a wildie not a wildie

Post by Snape »

Duckett wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 pm Well Snape, I suppose at least we don’t need to do a genetic test to be certain, as with the declining numbers of pure Crucians!
Genetically they'll all be the same as they are just variations of Cyprinus carpio.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snape wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 pm
Duckett wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 pm Well Snape, I suppose at least we don’t need to do a genetic test to be certain, as with the declining numbers of pure Crucians!
Genetically they'll all be the same as they are just variations of Cyprinus carpio.
Yes, I’d rather assumed that from my very basic reading. It’s an interesting area though. If more Carp were like the feral and wild ones, I could see myself paying them more serous attention. Thanks for all the pictures.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Duckett wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 pm If more Carp were like the feral and wild ones, I could see myself paying them more serous attention. Thanks for all the pictures.

Phil
Hear, hear.
That's what I'm always looking for.
Lean, torpedo commons take some beating. :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snape wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 pm
Duckett wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 pm If more Carp were like the feral and wild ones, I could see myself paying them more serous attention. Thanks for all the pictures.

Phil
Hear, hear.
:Ok: :Ok: :Ok: :Ok:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

One of the longest flat back U. K. commons I have landed. This 30 lb plus Norfolk fish tugged my string real hard.
So very different to this one from last month.
Snape wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Phil
Hear, hear.
Last edited by Shaun Harrison on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

The word Feral has popped up a lot in this thread
it means ....previously kept .. then getting into the wild ,is that not a wildie ?
" l'm not in the know " about carp ,can someone put me right on this
l can't be the only one who's not quite sure ,
some of the pictures that you have put up , look very similar to me ,

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Torridge Cane wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:41 pm The word Feral has popped up a lot in this thread
it means ....previously kept .. then getting into the wild ,is that not a wildie ?
" l'm not in the know " about carp ,can someone put me right on this
l can't be the only one who's not quite sure ,
some of the pictures that you have put up , look very similar to me ,
I think the issue is with the words 'wild' and 'wildie'.
The true wild carp is small (rarely more than 10lbs and usually much less), blunt headed, round shoulders with no notch and a small mouth with short barbules. Some people call these wildies.
The feral carp is a lean, torpedo shaped common carp which is bigger (max about 20lbs), with a more angled shoulder line, flat back and belly. Mouth still smallish, large tail, fight like tigers. These are often called wildies.
I would restrict the term wildie for the feral carp but as all carp are the same species and there are a variety of intermediate forms, it is hard to say.
The problem is it is a continuum from regular common carp to full wildie and where you draw the line is difficult to say.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Another long common from last night...
I was sat in my office as afternoon became evening last night and suddenly got the urge to wet a line. Okay, it wasn't a sudden urge, I had been listening to the wind in the trees all day whilst they swayed around in the corner of my eye.
Did I really need to work until dark again?
Would the world stand still if I didn't?
Would the carp be passing by my favourite evening pitch?
Before I knew it a flask was made, the 10 ft'ers loaded with centrepins were in one hand, my small canvas bag on my shoulder and The Land Rover was once again off on a mini adventure.
The wind was cutting into where I knew it would be cutting in. I had bait left from the weekend which was just starting to sour and knowing how much the carp seem to like it right at the start of it not smelling so great to me I emptied my bucket in the edge then did a full lap of the 10 acres with my gear on my back. The mozzies loved this!
Extra sweat built up with being only lightly laden with tackle seemed to ring the blood available here bell.
I found carp cruising the shallows, but so too were the coots, mallards and swans. I stood watching the carp for a while, but didn't fancy the feather warfare.
So, it was back to where I had tipped my bait in. Already the gin clear water had started to take on a milky tinge, something was on the bait already. I refrained from standing to see exactly what, for the water in incredibly clear. My 'Wallis' cast fortunately this time was just that and not a 'Wally' cast as can often happen when you are trying to be extra stealthy.
The line was flicking around almost straight away, I'd got the hook bait in without spooking what ever was feeding. Several times I reached for the rod thinking I was away, but each time managing to control the instinct to snatch back until I was sure it was a take and not simply the line catching on fins. Finally with a tightening of the line and a bulge in the water, I was connected. The rod bent much further than what you would describe as a healthy bend and line ripped from the reel against the palm of my left hand. 10, 20, 30 yards and a sudden turn in direction followed by a furious water smashing leap. in the 42 years I have been catching carp I had only ever had two carp leap during the fight until I started to fish here. For some reason these long carp take to the air which is such a spectacular sight.
With the speeds this fish was reaching it was so obviously one of the old strain which can't be too far removed from the old wildies. Finally in the net, my opponent still hadn't had enough and constantly charge inside the net, very grass carp like. What a furious creature it was. On the mat I seemed to be peeling mesh back forever before I revealed it's massive tail. I absolutely love these old strains and hopefully they will somehow manage to keep reproducing before they are lost for good.
It might not be a monster, but it gave me a massive kick and must be one of the longest common's I have had for length to girth ratio.
I was back home before dark, mission accomplished.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Super fish Shaun! It must have been heart stopping to see it airborne! Out of interest what did it weigh please ?

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Liphook wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:24 pm Super fish Shaun! It must have been heart stopping to see it airborne! Out of interest what did it weigh please ?
Sorry, I never actually weighed it. :Scared:

It felt probably 18 lb 'ish. A prime example how people can be mistaken on size when they spot 4 ft long carp. They don't always weigh a lot.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”