Lure fishing for Perch and Trout

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
ExeAngler
Chub

Lure fishing for Perch and Trout

Post by ExeAngler »

Hello chaps,

For a bit of a change I intend to start doing some lure fishing for Perch and Trout. Any advice on what lures to use? I will be fishing with traditional and modern equipment.

Thanks in advance.

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Lure fishing for Perch and Trout

Post by Watermole+ »

With respect,
most 'fly' pattern lures will readily catch either species; but do please bear in mind that it is now the close season for trout fishing and they should not be targeted, however 'accidental'..
Whilst not illegal, spinning type lures are strongly discouraged in most waters nowadays because of the recognised damage that the treble hooks fitted on them inflict to trout, parr and other smaller fish.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I would try lightweight jigs and drop shotting with small rubber lures and single hooks...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’m with Harry on dropshotting as it’s great fun on a light rod. On a river, you might even catch a Chub.

To minimise fish damage in waters with Trout, take the trebles off spinners (you can’t go wrong with Mepps) and use a tiny split ring to fit a single hook. You can actually buy single “trebles” and I do think these maintain hook-up rates.

If you are new to lure fishing, I’d only pass on three other things. First, if there is any chance of pike being present then use a wire trace and get some artery forceps for removal of hooks. Second, flatten the barbs on the hooks fitted to most lures - there is some right tosh talked about needing barbs on lure hooks. Lastly, I like to stay a couple of swims distance from other anglers.

Enjoy!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'd concur with all 3 replies :Thumb: Also I like a modified Ondex for perch - perhaps it's the red wool tag that catches me more than the fish but it's caught me some great perch!

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Lots of lure patterns will catch perch and trout but two patterns which seem to be consistent and where there is also a consensus among many anglers are the Ondex for perch and the Mepps Black Fury for trout.

One of the big problem with light spinning is getting hold of effective anti-kink leads which are small enough. I tend to mount mine on a light wire trace for the inevitable pike which comes along. I've had some decent pike over the years on small spinners when fishing for smaller species and never fish without a wire trace.

I had a long discussion on another website about the problems with line twist when using spinners and produced the picture below to show how various manufacturers overcome the problem.

Last edited by Phil Arnott on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have great success using ultra lite plugs from Rapala and Salmo, as well as 5cm shads. Orange patterns work particularly well, and in the winter months work them slow and deep.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Thanks for the info. Will not be going for Perch until the Season and then only if lure Angling is allowed. In the Summer I will be doing some Saltwater lure fishing which I am really looking forward to. If anyone has any knowledge of good Bass or Wrasse Lures, am all ears....

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Can't tell you much about lure fishing for wrasse but I would recommend you search the bass guide Marc Cowling''s blog at on lure fishing for bass. Also tons of info on WSF and Henry Gilbey sites

Return to “Lure Fishing”