Dam Prince 1014

The DAM Reels forum.
Trainset
Gudgeon

Dam Prince 1014

Post by Trainset »

I've recently bought my first Dam reel and its a Prince 1014. I cant seem to find much about this model online and was wondering who could tell me when and where it was made.
I realise its a basic cheap model and not very sought after but I like the look of it and fancy a change from my Mitchel 304 for the winter. I plan to spin for some pike or perch and possibly dead bait, loaded it up with strong braid but thought I would ask for people in the know to offer opinions on the reel and its capability in advance.
Any information greatly appreciated. :fishing1:
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Cat
Chub

Re: Dam Prince 1014

Post by Cat »

Hi Trainset,
I believe that the Prince range was after DAM switched manufacturing from West Germany to the far east. I picked one up for spares some years ago, and it's 'Northern Isthmian League' in comparison to the bombproof engineering beauty of 330's, 220's, etc. If I remember correctly, the Prince range is listed in a Walker catalogue of around 1980. I can't remember the actual size of the 1014, so can't recommend its usage.
Regards Cat

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Hi cat,
Thanks for the information, had a spinning session with the reel a few days ago on my local canal.
The reel was untested by perch or pike but handled the sticks and weed well!
Will keep going until I catch something on it then probably look for one of the 330s or 220s if I can find one at a decent price.
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Both come up on occasion on the Bay of Plenty...220 great all rounder; 330 carp, barbel; 440 bigger carp (rarer reel); 550 anything you like. There's also a smaller 110, but I don't possess one. Built like tanks, worm gearing, bearing race. Bomb proof, and never to be regretted in my opinion. Spares available from US & Canada (where so many of these gems seemed to end up).
There are lots of excellent DAM reels that members have posted regarding, and many who know much more than myself. Look up DAM reel history.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat

Return to “DAM Reels”