What bait?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Re: What bait?

Post by Phil Arnott »

I think some baits aren't particularly good for some species.

I have fished some chub swims were I couldn't use cheese, worms or luncheon meat because of the eels and had to use bread. Although I have caught an eel on bread it is a rare event.

Roach don't usually take worms well but there are exceptions and my first 1lb roach took a large lobworm. Since then I've had other large roach on lobworm and smaller roach have taken worm well at times but mostly they are not interested. I've also taken quite a few pike in the 3-5lb range on lobworm and even had catches of three or four fish. I can't think of a coarse fish species which won't take a worm.

I think the way to target different species is mainly done by fishing in the right location where they are the dominant specie.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I can only think of 2 species specific baits that I've settled on:

Slugs for Chub (I'm too chicken to collect wasp grubs).
A massive bunch of worms for Perch …… minimum half a dozen ………… others nibble but only Perch take (I don't livebait).
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Bitterling, half of half of a squatt or feeder.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Duckett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm I can only think of 2 species specific baits that I've settled on:

A massive bunch of worms for Perch …… minimum half a dozen ………… others nibble but only Perch take (I don't livebait).
Big bunches of worms are good for barbel, carp, chub and trout.... not to mention pike.

I was going to suggest silkweed for roach but recall catching dace and I know others have had chub and even barbel on it. It's quite a conundrum.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm
Duckett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 pm I can only think of 2 species specific baits that I've settled on:

Big bunches of worms are good for barbel, carp, chub and trout.... not to mention pike.

I was going to suggest silkweed for roach but recall catching dace and I know others have had chub and even barbel on it. It's quite a conundrum.
They may be good for you Dave, but me? Nope, just decent Perch! I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry! :surrender:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Duckett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:15 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 pm

They may be good for you Dave, but me? Nope, just decent Perch! I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry! :surrender:
:Hahaha:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Small tench livebaits are almost 100% for wells catfish :Scared:

Cray Stalker
Ruffe

Post by Cray Stalker »

Chub = Bread crust
Roach = Bread flake
Perch = Lob worm
Big Perch = minnow or Bleak
Carp = Bread crust / flake

:fish:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

If I see cheap stewing steak it goes in the freezer - yet to be tried though!

Enormous 40mm boilies/pellets = only cats & carp. Only used in stillwater so cannot comment on river fish - yet.

Lamprey for chub/pike & possibly barbel which do also eat them.

Maggots - the catch-all bait.

Just a thought pancetta? Trotted?

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

BreadFlake wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 am What about steak and mince for Chub?
I can remember watching someone using that on TV
Martin Bowler ? or John Wilson? maybe.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”