What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
PeteD
Rudd

Re: What are you reading?

Post by PeteD »

I received these 2 fishing related books for Christmas.

Almost finished Life of a Chalkstream. Really enjoyed it. Although I am not a chalkstream fly fisherman this book is a fascinating insight into the lives of all the nature to be found on the river. Looking forward to starting the Adam Weymouth book having read one of his pieces in Fallon's Angler.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Image.

My Christmas present
The Watcher by the Bridge

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Harry wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:46 pm A Glorious Waste of Time, by Jim Gibbinson...

Duckett... Pratchetts work is superb... have a go at "Nation" I miss his writing immensely since his untimely passing.. a very clever man... (met him in the 90's... lovely chap)
Be interested to know what you think of the Gibbo book H.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Fishing for beginners, by Maurice Wiggin. I got into MW last year and have greedily set about his books. At 25 years a fisherman, I’m not sure I can be called a beginner, though often find myself feeling that way. I like MW no nonsense ‘a spades a spade’ approach to writing. He’s never afraid to say he doesn’t like something and he’s rarely diplomatic about it. He also shares my views on fishing with worms.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:14 pm
Harry wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:46 pm A Glorious Waste of Time, by Jim Gibbinson...

Duckett... Pratchetts work is superb... have a go at "Nation" I miss his writing immensely since his untimely passing.. a very clever man... (met him in the 90's... lovely chap)
Be interested to know what you think of the Gibbo book H.....
Quite enjoyable Rob... a tale of his likes and dislikes of his fishing career...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I have just finished The Poacher's Handbook by Ian Niall. I read it every year at around this time. Beautifully written, very atmospheric and evocative of the countryside. Along with A Galloway Childhood, I think it's my favourite Ian Niall book.
And I have just started to re-read Jonah's Dream by Sven Berlin. This is my all-time favourite fishing book; one of the best fishing books ever written, in my opinion.

Alan

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I mentioned this one as being one of my Christmas presents. Still enjoying it. A very relaxing read, so mainly read over a cuppa or a glass of something. Eking it out as long as I can.
On the subject of Ian Niall books ( as mentioned by Ryman), I enjoyed the “ Village policeman” most.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I have had a copy of the Four Seasons since last birthday in May and finally got to start reading it, about halfway through and enjoying it a lot.

Dipping in and out of Fallon's editions and old Waterlog.

Enjoy for reading and fishing.

Cheers
Nige.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Just started "The Carp Strikes Back" by Rod Hutchinson... laughing my socks off at the mo... very enjoyable so far :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

A mixed bag here, and only one fishing related but all in their own way I’m looking forward to reading.Image

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”