Basingstoke canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Lucky Strike
Perch

Re: Basingstoke canal

Post by Lucky Strike »

Blueavocet wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 8:57 pm Dear Folks,

I caught a really good roach here using my cane floatrover rod, which can read about in Waterlog if any of you read that magazine 'Roach the Wisconsin Way' (Bob Price). There is the added benefit at dusk of seeing one of the biggest flights of two species of bat which exit from the bridge-quite magical.

Can anyone tell me which waterlog issue this was?
:Hat:

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

thought some of you might be interested in this
l worked for the Basingstoke Canal Authority for 20 plus years , it's owned partly by Hants and Surrey CC ,
Who don't have a clue about fish stocks etc....
The FISH... it has a superb stock of fish ,from Odiham down , when l started there it had grayling in it above Odiham to the Tunnel
in the early 2000 myself with the EA electro fished the carp ,tattooing all they caught ,a little mark on the fin
we were all gob smacked by some of the fish caught ,44lb 43lb lots of 30lb fish etc , the big fish came from [ASH VALE FLASH ]
All from the reed bed and willows on the far side [ARMY LAND NO FISHING ]
I think you can get a report of this from the EA
Mytchett lake is great for carp, tench,bream,all the silver fish ,[It was stocked with several thousand crucians in the late 80's early 90's ]
[ it also holds huge pike and perch.[separate permit to fish the lake ]
was available at the corner shop , on Mytchett lake road ,
l cut my teeth on the canal ,in the 80's we would sit up all night ,for the tench ,on the canal side of the lake
15 plus fish was quite common ,looking at a star lighter all night was something else !
then my dad would turn up and make me play cricket all day as they were one short !
A brilliant place to fish ,you will not be dissapointed ,
you may also hook a big catfish , someone has thrown these in
lots of flashes that hold lovely fish,
just remember other people use the towpath
will post some pictures of fish that have come out of there
T.C

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

2 pictures of the same fish ,
a few years apart, 3rd is a fish that was a P.B when Jason was 16 , weight 19lb 30 years later same fish 25lb ,caught from the bottom of my garden !ImageImageImage
first Jim Davidson , at Lakeside
middle fish 37lb
T.C

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

SORRY NOT 37LB
33.10LB
Another little thing ,l fished Mytchett lake in 1983 ish, all night ,catching 7 tench , bitter sweet moment , l hook and landed a monster crucian ,about 2am , a gent came over from the lake to help me land it , as his landing net was longer than mine ,thought it was a big tench in the dark
when we looked a it in touch light , we could not believe it, just under 5lb !!!
foul hooked in the tail !!!! just slipped it back
never thought about it for years,only one l ever caught in the canal in 40 odd years ,never thought l'd work on it for 20 years either

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

yet another from the bottom of my gardenImage
35lb

Husky69

Post by Husky69 »

Hello mate I have tried sending you an inbox message did you receive it ? Many thanks Danny

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Lovely fish.

Did you weigh it?

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

not 35lb it's 33.10lb but who cares , that was on a B.james Avon !
T.C

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Fatty had in his jacket pocket a triple signed document, all Waffen stamped allowing said Mole, for it is he, an early morning pass to travel to the Basingstoke canal. This he duly did accompanied on the outward journey by a, still warm from the oven, Pasty, a ham roll, a quart of slurping tea and his Drop Shot Equipment.

Getting set up and fishing by 0745hrs was an achievement of the first order with a small wasp soon taking a liking to the lure of double maggot drop shotted out side their nest:

A quick snap and off he went back to the hive.

Surprisingly busy on the towpath at this time, with MAMILS tearing around on expensive bikes shouting at everyone to get out of the way; Fatty decided that the next bellowing oaf on two wheels would face some of his own medicine. :clap:

It was barely five minutes after this thought that the Mole was on the receiving end of shouted verbals from a Lycra-Clad Warrior. His face was a picture of indignant surprise, even shock, when a Fat Angler bellowed back even louder ' Slow Down then you idiot, it's not a race-track!' :Wink:

These bullies are so used to all the other tow path users being cowed by their belligerence that to receive a little of their nastiness back leaves them without the capacity to reply. This one just cycled on but a bit slower, hopefully a little wiser in the future; probably not though as the wearing of Lycra reduces the IQ by 50% at least.

Fatty fished on with no further Perch but imagine the shock at seeing the Ultra Light Drop Shot Rod, in truth a lightweight cane travel rod, slammed down hard and then nearly forming a circle as something heavy, angry and fast (not a cyclist) tried to bury itself in weed.

After a struggle which had the Mole believing his rod would snap, eventually by using the skilled playing technique of just hanging on the big fish tired itself out although it had to be netted by another kind angler, as the hanging on technique needs two hands:

This pike weighed 10lb 8oz and was far bigger than Fatty had caught for some time from the Bassie on a small rubber lure. A quick snap of behemoth in the net and off she went; followed by giggling and attempted Dad Dancing from Fatty.

After this excitement with supplies scoffed and slurped the decision to return to Stalag Luft XIV was an easy one. Even getting caught in ridiculous levels of traffic could not upset Fatty.

Matron :Scared: smiled indulgently at her Fat Spouse as he retold the epic battle, leaving out the just hanging on bit, whilst slurping a freshly made tea, in between giving it the bigg'un :Hat:

Matron :Scared: likes this time of year so let's Fatty make a noose for his own neck which will be yanked at the, female deemed, appropriate moment. There's so much truth in the old saying, make hay whilst the sun shines :eyebrow:

As ever,.....

Hay Making Moley

it
Say aye tae'a pie!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Excellent.

Nice pike Moley.

Will be using the holiday period to visit the canal & will try to avoid the traffic on the tow path!

Return to “Other Canals”