What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark99
Perch

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Mark99 »

Marc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 pm Fishing for beginners, by Maurice Wiggin. I got into MW last year and have greedily set about his books. At 25 years a fisherman, I’m not sure I can be called a beginner, though often find myself feeling that way. I like MW no nonsense ‘a spades a spade’ approach to writing. He’s never afraid to say he doesn’t like something and he’s rarely diplomatic about it. He also shares my views on fishing with worms.

MW is a first class writer.

Currently reading his memoirs. And his court case book.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I picked up a few books yesterday from my parents as they were destined for the charity shop, amongst them was this one...

I haven't got further than the preface and a quick scan through but already a lot of familiar places mentioned, which always captivates me. Just finished the Brian Tovey book which is of a similar content and was a pleasurable read.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Silfield wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm I picked up a few books yesterday from my parents as they were destined for the charity shop, amongst them was this one...

I haven't got further than the preface and a quick scan through but already a lot of familiar places mentioned, which always captivates me. Just finished the Brian Tovey book which is of a similar content and was a pleasurable read.
That's one of those supposedly classic countryside books that we devoured when we were young. Then as we learned 'a bit' ourselves we realised that the imagination and good writing skills of some of the authors we slavishly followed couldn't hide their ignorance and gullibility .
Even though it's presented as a true account, I Walked by Night seemed a wrong un when I read it in the school library. Since then l have learned that the central character of the book did indeed exist . Unfortunatly rather than living up to his self endowed title of King of the Norfolk Poachers ; in real life he was a very grubby character indeed!
Last edited by Kev D on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Harry wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:01 am Just started "The Carp Strikes Back" by Rod Hutchinson... laughing my socks off at the mo... very enjoyable so far :Hat:
I also enjoyed that book even though it made me realise just how far from my own style of fishing modern day carp angling has evolved to.

Anyone read Zane Gray? I get lost in his writing about the month long steelhead trips in Colarado and chasing giant game fish off the Pacific seaboard and beyond. He was quite a character, not all good either. He was a failed author for many years until one of his Western books got published and then he went on to become a very famous and rich man indeed. His wife must have been very understanding and supportive as she arranged for suitable female friends to accompany her husband on his long fishing trips. He made a fortune writing Westerns and spent it all on fishing. What a guy!

I can recommend Tales of Fishes as a good starting point.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Suitable female friends to accompany him fishing! Well l suppose wrestling marlin and providing salmon for tea gave him a bit more "pulling power" with the ladies than someone who smells of maggots and comes back from the bank covered in tench slime.
One of my favourite fishing books is this one. I've read it loads of times but l dipped-in again yesterday. It is a mix of philosophical thoughts lightened with anecdotal tales . The one involving Miss Bayle and the French pike angler is a study in bucolic perfection .
20200114_174940.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Fishing: The Angling Times tribute book on John Wilson
Novel: Agent Running In The Field by John Le Carre
Plus, bizarrely, my Shefford & District club membership book to look up a club rule!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Kev D wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm Suitable female friends to accompany him fishing! Well l suppose wrestling marlin and providing salmon for tea gave him a bit more "pulling power" with the ladies than someone who smells of maggots and comes back from the bank covered in tench slime.
One of my favourite fishing books is this one. I've read it loads of times but l dipped-in again yesterday. It is a mix of philosophical thoughts lightened with anecdotal tales . The one involving Miss Bayle and the French pike angler is a study in bucolic perfection .
20200114_174940.jpg
That must be deeper than a char fisher's trolling line.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Kev D wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:35 pm
Silfield wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm I picked up a few books yesterday from my parents as they were destined for the charity shop,
That's one of those supposedly classic countryside books that we devoured when we were young. Then as we learned 'a bit' ourselves we realised that the imagination and good writing skills of some of the authors we slavishly followed couldn't hide their ignorance and gullibility .
Even though it's presented as a true account, I Walked by Night seemed a wrong un when I read it in the school library. Since then l have learned that the central character of the book did indeed exist . Unfortunatly rather than living up to his self endowed title of King of the Norfolk Poachers ; in real life he was a very grubby character indeed!
Thanks Kev D, it may very well be heading to the charity shop sooner than expected then, I will give it a go before passing it on.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Silfield wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:57 pm
Kev D wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:35 pm
Silfield wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm I picked up a few books yesterday from my parents as they were destined for the charity shop,
Thanks Kev D, it may very well be heading to the charity shop sooner than expected then, I will give it a go before passing it on.
Ooh no you must read it. It is still a classic in its way.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

This arrived last night as a belated birthday present.
Only a quick flick through so far but already found it quite informative and amusing in places.

Washington Irving

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”