Xmas past....

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Pickerel
Gudgeon

Re: Xmas past....

Post by Pickerel »

I have no sage angling advice to offer, nor can I claim any ability to fashion amazing and/or coveted items of tackle. All I can offer back to the sport I have enjoyed all my life are my ramblings. If those ramdom scribblings are enjoyed by even a couple of my betters then I am more than grateful

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

You are a great story teller Pickerel; very many TFF members will eagerly await your next contribution, and be most grateful for it.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Devonhunter46
Stickleback

Post by Devonhunter46 »

That's lovely story really made me smile

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent story, quite Dickensian!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Only just found this, excellent!
..."a matching set of knitted scarf, gloves and bobble hat in a shade of green that was exactly the same as his mothers’ favourite cardigan, the one that he hadn’t seen her wearing for a while." - I wonder what the age cut-off is for understanding that at the first reading?

Well done!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Yes Vole am on board with you. My guess about late forty ish and thats being generous ! The materialistic, must have , me only,acceptance by society formulated in the late 1970s.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

In the 70's I regularly got mittens, scarfs and jumpers knitted out of old jumble sale wool. Funnily enough I found a pair of mittens a couple of weeks ago that were made for me as a nipper. They were reluctantly received by my 6 year old, as he had lost his. Initially he said they smelt old, he now loves them as they are 'warm and comfy' and remind him of Granny-someone he sadly never met.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Yes, a lovely and moving story; one to, at the same time, make you smile and wonder what that little sensation in your eyes is all about... It resonates somewhat with my own upbringing as a nipper in the East End in the 50's, at a time when we were still surrounded by bomb sites (the 'debris' as we used to call them) which proved to be excellent places to play 'war' or 'cowboys and indians' - early adventure playgrounds!! Strange thing is, we didn't feel as we were missing out on things in the same way as youngsters would today, because we didn't know any different - most people you knew lived in the same way you did! Can you imagine a child today thinking nothing of trotting off to the freezing cold toilet, stuck on the rear of the house - particularly when you lived upstairs and had to go through the tenants place downstairs to get to it! I don't regret my childhood; my parents did their best for me and I felt I had everything I needed and I suspect 'Timmy' feels the same (after all, he got his fishing rod!). I certainly felt happy, but then they were much simpler times. Thanks Pickerel for enabling me to take a very pleasant nostalgic trip down memory lane. Cheers, John

Pickerel
Gudgeon

Post by Pickerel »

Hi John
Thanks for your kind comments it's always nice to know that my attempts at portraying a story are appreciated. It is often said that 'a picture paints a thousand words' - Well, for me, the more difficult challenge is to find a thousand words to paint a picture into someone else's mind...

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

I understand what you mean; but you have certainly made an excellent job of it with this story. Stories and reminiscences like this deserve to be written up in a book as they reflect a time - still recent in our minds - but, at the same time, of a time now long gone. Current and future generations will not be aware of the way many people lived their lives unless such stories are told. Thing is, much easier said than done............. Cheers, John

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”