Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by AllRounder »

Thank you all for your input re the Vietnamese squid lures - I never knew such things existed.
I should make it clear that I didn’t actually buy the lures they are still in the glass display case twelve hours flying time away in Halong Bay!
Apologies if I misled anyone :surrender:
The floating fishing village had a little museum displaying various handmade tools and so on and I couldn’t resist a quick photo

The villagers appear to make their living farming grouper (I think) fish, culturing pearls and obviously catching squid

Sorry for going off topic :Hat:
Kevin

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 am I bought a fair fewest from Harris Angling in the early nineties before lure fishing became popular! Still have to catch on some of them.
Thanks for sharing Santiago :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

AllRounder wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 am Thank you all for your input re the Vietnamese squid lures - I never knew such things existed.
I should make it clear that I didn’t actually buy the lures they are still in the glass display case twelve hours flying time away in Halong Bay!
Apologies if I misled anyone :surrender:
The floating fishing village had a little museum displaying various handmade tools and so on and I couldn’t resist a quick photo

The villagers appear to make their living farming grouper (I think) fish, culturing pearls and obviously catching squid

Sorry for going off topic :Hat:
Kevin
Absolutely no problem. I find it all very interesting.

:Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I think Sue Harris probably made a decent living out of me alone at one stage! Then I got trade contacts and the spending remained high but the volume shot up!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:31 am I do like some of the older US lures and their history. Patterns like the Creek Chub Pikie are timeless and very effective for pike over here. Apparently, the early wooden ones were better and are now valuable. The Yanks love their lure fishing, it's only really taken off over here in the last decade or two, now we all have weird and wonderful bits of plastic, metal and rubber in our collections.
Thanks Dave very interesting. I did watch a couple of videos on YouTube, one about an older member from the NFLCC (Lew Kornman) talking about Paw Paw, Shakespeare, South Bend, Hendon, Pflueger and as you mentioned Creek Chub lures and many more. Another name that cropped up was Charlie Hines who customises and makes his own lures, all very intriguing and beautiful.

CaneTincaCatcher
Ruffe

Post by CaneTincaCatcher »

I too bought a few from the same company in the early 90s when they were still running the business from a spare room in their cottage on the Norfolk coast out near Happisburgh I believe. One order I collected from their cottage and was made very welcome by Sue and her husband. Most of their stock was coming in from the states and Canada at the time. They were also supplying a lot of early spinning rods and reels from the states also.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

CaneTincaCatcher wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:25 am I too bought a few from the same company in the early 90s when they were still running the business from a spare room in their cottage on the Norfolk coast out near Happisburgh I believe. One order I collected from their cottage and was made very welcome by Sue and her husband. Most of their stock was coming in from the states and Canada at the time. They were also supplying a lot of early spinning rods and reels from the states also.
Great story CaneTincaCatcher thank you for sharing.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I was going to set up a display of old lures and collected a few interesting ones but in the end I just used the spoons in the display so I now have these left. I could set them up but I haven't got any available wall space to display them.

The lures I've deliberately collected are the ABU lures as many are no longer made and they were very good quality at the time.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

I too have an interest in older lures but I prefer american wooden lures as they can be fished or just collected as small works of art even now I still buy the odd 1 or 2 and I am not afraid to use or loose them
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

I have a few Lures, Spoons and such like that I've accumulated over the past two years and I also managed to identify a couple of them too.

(Top) - Bomber series 300 (so called because of its shape) Bomber Bait Co. Gainesville- Texas.

(Middle) - Whopper Stopper Bayou Boogie colour 6014 Whopper Stopper Bait Co. - ShermanTexas.

(Bottom) - Shakespeare Original LIL S.

William Shakespeare, Kalamazoo, Mich. William Shakespeare Jr. founded his tackle business in 1897

(Above) Paw Paw Bait Co. In 1970 the rights to the Paw Paw Lure Company were acquired by Shakespeare, which itself had been bought by Creek Chub which was bought out by Lazy Ike in 1978, which then ended up being owned by Pradco

All look like late baits

TWO FINNISH LURES

CountDown - Perch pattern

Rapala The brand was unofficially founded in 1936 when Finnish fisherman Lauri Rapala made one simple, yet genius observation: big fish eat little fish, particularly the wounded ones. As he fished the waters of Finland’s Lake Paijanne, he noticed how predator fish would dart into a school of minnows and attack the one that swam with a slightly off-centered wobble again and again.
This elegant insight led Lauri to pick up a carving knife to whittle, shave, and sand the original Rapala fishing lure. With makeshift household materials such as cork, tinfoil, and melted photographic negatives, he crafted and painstakingly tested a lure that perfectly mimicked the action of a wounded minnow and would ultimately become the forefather of the legendary Original Floating Rapala.

Invincible J. 8cm 6g

Nils Masters Designed in 1965 the Nils Master lure range has developed into a wide range of different models, sizes and effective colour choices. In 1978 trade name Bete joined the family.

ABU Lures and spoons

Voblex (two different sizes)

Lead and slotted Devon minnows.

Quill Minnows

Lead Devon minnow bodies (left) and normal Devon minnows.

I just love collecting them and I always keep my eye out on my travels.

I have this small surface bait that I'm trying to identify, it is about an inch and a half long and made of wood. Any ideas anyone?
Last edited by Tonytoned on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”