Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Phil Arnott
Chub

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Phil Arnott »

Liphook wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 pm Our club cod trophy 'The Digger Derrington' is very similar to that cod you have displayed there Phil. Ours is made of tooled leather, is yours?
Hi, I realised after posting the picture of the pike table by George Cundall that not only did George produce the cod picture but he knew and was in contact with Digger Derrington. It would seem an amazing coincidence if the picture was not actually by George.

I met Digger a couple of times myself while fishing on the Mull of Galloway. George also joined me and other friends for fishing trips to the Mull of Galloway.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:41 pm ImageImage

This is a great book on lures of all kinds, and full of good colourful illustrations.
Thanks for the heads up Santiago. :Thumb:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Kev D wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 am
Tonytoned wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm I have a few Lures, Spoons and such like that I've accumulated over the past two years and I also managed to identify a couple of them too.

(Top) - Bomber series 300 (so called because of its shape) Bomber Bait Co. Gainesville- Texas.

(Middle) - Whopper Stopper Bayou Boogie colour 6014 Whopper Stopper Bait Co. - ShermanTexas.

(Bottom) - Shakespeare Original LIL S.

William Shakespeare, Kalamazoo, Mich. William Shakespeare Jr. founded his tackle business in 1897

(Above) Paw Paw Bait Co. In 1970 the rights to the Paw Paw Lure Company were acquired by Shakespeare, which itself had been bought by Creek Chub which was bought out by Lazy Ike in 1978, which then ended up being owned by Pradco

All look like late baits

TWO FINNISH LURES

CountDown - Perch pattern

Rapala founded in Finland in the 1930s by Lauri Rapala.

Invincible J. 8cm 6g

Nils Masters Designed in 1965 the Nils Master lure range has developed into a wide range of different models, sizes and effective colour choices. In 1978 trade name Bete joined the family.

ABU Lures and spoons

Voblex (two different sizes)

Lead and slotted Devon minnows.

Quill Minnows

Lead Devon minnow bodies (left) and normally Devon minnows.

I just love collecting them and I always keep my eye out on my travels.

I have this small surface bait that I'm trying to identify, it is about an inch and a half long and made of wood. Any ideas anyone?
That first photograph hit me like dejevu. I had those three lures, l mean absolute exact duplicates. They came in a set from Woolworths along with a yellow banana shaped lure with trebles that dangled like legs either side of the body. I may still have it. Another indication that Woolies dealt on proper fishing tackle .
Hello Kev.
How coincidental. I've just started reading this:-

And in this section. Some of what was mentioned in our recent posts.

:Thumb:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

That's a fine book. I have a copy and delve into it now and again.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Back in the mid nineties when I was really into lure fishing I even ventured to make my own plugs from whittled willow. Some with concave lips carved into their heads. For weight as a keel and to reduce buoyancy I embedded lead weights filched from swim feeders. I have used all them over the years, but alas they're still all virgins. The nearest I came to catching a pike was with the red headed one. First ever cast alongside a reedbed it raised a following pike of about 6lb, I could see it as clear as day, it grabbed the lure in its jaws, but alas I could see the treble was on the outside. A second later I struck knowing striking was futile, the lure popped out, and the pike smiled before disappearing! The one with the orange tail is my son's creation. The biggest is about 31/2" long.

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:21 pm Image

Back in the mid nineties when I was really into lure fishing I even ventured to make my own plugs from whittled willow. Some with concave lips carved into their heads. For weight as a keel and to reduce buoyancy I embedded lead weights filched from swim feeders. I have used all them over the years, but alas they're still all virgins. The nearest I came to catching a pike was with the red headed one. First ever cast alongside a reedbed it raised a following pike of about 6lb, I could see it as clear as day, it grabbed the lure in its jaws, but alas I could see the treble was on the outside. A second later I struck knowing striking was futile, the lure popped out, and the pike smiled before disappearing! The one with the orange tail is my son's creation. The biggest is about 31/2" long.
Priceless Santiago. They are worth more than any plug you can buy because they're one offs. I would sooner buy something hand made than manufactured. And it proved the work too. Perhaps when lockdown is finished I might have ago myself.

:Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers TT, they're quite easy to make, but not so easy to catch with. If you do make a few I hope you have better success than me!

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 pm Cheers TT, they're quite easy to make, but not so easy to catch with. If you do make a few I hope you have better success than me!
Thanks Santiago. If I make some I will post them on the forum.

:Thumb:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

20200423_204934_resized.jpg
Tonytoned here is the book. It cost a couple of pounds
from one of those bucket bookshops a few years ago.
The trouble is this thread has me thinking about combining a reel seat from a broken fly rod and a 5' 6" solid glass schooling whip that l rescued from a stable-yard skip, to make a little US style baitcasting rod...🙄
20200423_205121_resized.jpg
20200423_205337_resized.jpg
20200423_205522_resized.jpg
20200423_100817_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I love those surface lures with the blades fore and aft, whenever a pike takes I jump out of my skin. The Heddon Crazy Crawler is another surface lure that demands nerves of steel to fish with.

I'll do some shots of mine tomorrow.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”