Mitchell 441 (A)

The Other Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Mitchell 441 (A)

Post by Mr B »

Afternoon Gents,
I have just stripped the reel down and found the Problem..
Well hopefully.
Looking at the exploded diagram it looks like part number
81/032.
I can’t find that part on line but wondered if it could be the same part in a 300?
You can see by the photo the damage teeth. I have also added the photo of it in the reel.. it the gear on the right.
Be interested to know your views.
Mr B
Ps you might have to zoom in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Mitchell 441 (A)

Post by Tengisgol »

I know a man who will know!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I just took one of my 301’s apart and gave it a service so that was a good thing.
I cleans the gear and tried it for size, It’s different.. I will have to get the part...
I’m sure there will be an expert who will no doubt let me know... there is quit a few as you say!
It did make me think though....
It’s can be a little to easy to ask a question before doing the leg work... after all the TFF is not just about getting quick fixes... it’s about putting something back to.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mr B wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:59 pm I just took one of my 301’s apart and gave it a service so that was a good thing.
I cleans the gear and tried it for size, It’s different.. I will have to get the part...
I’m sure there will be an expert who will no doubt let me know... there is quit a few as you say!
It did make me think though....
It’s can be a little to easy to ask a question before doing the leg work... after all the TFF is not just about getting quick fixes... it’s about putting something back to.
Mr B
Pm sent.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Got one on the way...
Thanks to Wally’s-Cast.

Thank you, how nice is that.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sorry I missed this earlier. The part is the transfer gear and it is indeed different for the 400 series reels as they turn over faster.

The A denotes M8 crown gears which should run quieter, but that is only the rotor gear and the pinion gear that drives it.

All these parts are out there, the first port of call would be Mike Traynor, Metal Mickey on this forum. Mike has 'closed' his eBay shop due to the high fees demanded but still has a huge stock of parts.

From memory this part was fitted to the 350/351 reels. the 400/401, the 410/411 and 440/441 reels too.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for the info Knobby,
Got one on the way now...
Good to know what other models have the same part though.... keep them going until we drop!
Thanks again...
Mr B

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

These gears are notorious for losing teeth. They are made thinner than the original ones to make space for the silent anti reverse dog and are fine under normal use but excessive pressure on winding can strip the teeth off.

Its the same gear in the 300 pro by the way.

Wal.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well that makes sense...
That poor reel was used hard by my sons a few years ago feathering Mackerel on Chesil beach, five at a time!!!
I only ever used it for what it was made for and have been meaning to sort it out for over two years... apart from that all the other parts look fine.
Thanks Wal

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:20 pm These gears are notorious for losing teeth. They are made thinner than the original ones to make space for the silent anti reverse dog and are fine under normal use but excessive pressure on winding can strip the teeth off.

Its the same gear in the 300 pro by the way.

Wal.

I think this is possibly from the time manufacturing moved over to Taiwan, the transfer gears particularly are very prone to oxidisation and then strip teeth easilly....one drop of water gets in there ( let alone salt water!) and they are gone. It's not just the reels with a silent anti-reverse...and Lord knows they go wrong enough too. I like the silent idea..but anything that relies on friction to operate is surely going to have a short life......

Return to “Other Reels”