E. L. Sowerbutts 20ft. London Roach Pole.

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: E. L. Sowerbutts 20ft. London Roach Pole.

Post by Duckett »

Meanwhile, here in Stratford E15, we pronounce it “endofthesixtyninebusroute” :Chuckle:

Your next starter for 10, Plaistow.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Ljm183 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:23 pm
Stathamender wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:18 pm
Ljm183 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:28 pm

It's also pronounced 'Wulffamstah'.

It,s pronounced wawl·thuhm·stow
Well, my brother lived there for 37 years and that's the way he said it.
Ah but was he originally from there ? Doesn't sound like it to me ......
[/quote]

But that was where he learned to say the word.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

YogiSally
Stickleback

Post by YogiSally »

Edward Sowerbutts was my step grandfather, and the family moved from Walthamstow to Epping, Essex where he continued to make the rods in the garden shed. His daughter Jane, still resides at the family home and does not have a single rod to remember her father by.

They had a very meager existence and the family lived on the sale of his rods and Jane's job as a typist at Epping Council offices, and she has now retired.

Hopefully, one day I will have enough money to buy one of her fathers rods to give her.

Tight lines!

Yogi Sally Ann Slight

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Wonderful, I am sure you will enjoy the TFF. Welcome aboard.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Duckett wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 am Meanwhile, here in Stratford E15, we pronounce it “endofthesixtyninebusroute” :Chuckle:

That would be "Plarstoe". I lived there for the first 20 years of my life.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:42 pm
Duckett wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 am Meanwhile, here in Stratford E15, we pronounce it “endofthesixtyninebusroute” :Chuckle:

That would be "Plarstoe". I lived there for the first 20 years of my life.
Correct John! Having been here since 1988, on the old Ammersmiff & Citi Line trains with the automated announcements that said “Plaistowe” when terminating on the spare platform, I was one of those who regularly grumbled, “Plarstoe! You ignorant pile of junk!”. Of course, we aren’t helped by the fact that each “Plaistow” in England seems to pronounce it differently! Sir Hugh de Plaiz has a to answer for!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Boleyn is the family name on the distaff side and we all came from Stratford. Plus the name is pronounced Bullen and not the hoity toity silly way most say it.

Come WW2 they moved out to the country.....Romford to avoid the blitz but still got most of the roof blown off when a doodle bug dropped on their new street.

Fatty was born not long after.......

The rest as they say is history and another story.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Moley wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:27 am Boleyn is the family name on the distaff side and we all came from Stratford. Plus the name is pronounced Bullen and not the hoity toity silly way most say it.

Come WW2 they moved out to the country.....Romford to avoid the blitz but still got most of the roof blown off when a doodle bug dropped on their new street.

Fatty was born not long after.......

The rest as they say is history and another story.

As ever,....

Moley
Similar story here. My Mother was in Cann Hall Road in Leytonstone during the war, her father working on the railway. My Dad was in Barkingside. They too moved to Romford in the fifties when they were married, where I grew up, and then I moved further up the A12 in the nineties to Chelmsford.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I remember 4 or 5 people used cane roach poles at the Eagle Pond Snaresbrook. Swinging 8oz roach to hand showed both how much better stocks were then and the view that poles were there to do a job and not be a work of art. But they do look good now!

Are there many east enders who can afford to live in town nowadays?. My dad was told that he would never get the £1800 he paid in 53 for our house in Wanstead back. Mum and Dad were in Suffolk when Warwick Road semis passed £1,000,000. And now some starting with 2! Madness!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I used to drink and listen to bands at The Bridge in Plaistow,. As a country bumpkin now I would have the car doors locked as we avoided stopping on the A13 nowadays ( sure Plaistow is still nice but I am the only person in my lane without a tractor!)
Last edited by Ian.R.McDonald on Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”