Ledgerstrike butt/cork handle

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Ledgerstrike butt/cork handle

Post by Liphook »

[/quote]

Dowel is used beneath the cork on many, maybe even most rods, The handle needs to be rigid but light and, as it's not going to be seen, dowel fits the bill.

Which rods are you talking about here Dave? Cheaper ranges or post war 'rationing' tackle perhaps? Or the very old solid butt rods? I ask as I've be been building rods since the early 80s and have been involved in the tackle trade for over 30 years and never have I seen or heard of dowel used in anything but the cheapest ranges and mass market junk. Aluminium and glass "dolly' sections yes, fillets of wood to round the hexagonal of cane or add a short extension yes, hardwood rod butts yes, but dowel is most certainly not common nor used underneath the cork on most rods - thankfully!

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

long handles were so because the Ledgerstrike and carp rods of the day (and later) were intended to be used 2 handed - at least , for some of the time . two handed casting and striking gives you more power and control. i rebuilt my 500 to L/S style but retained the short handle . indeed . for swingtipping a short handle is what you need - and that represents most of my ledgering , but my carp rods have 30" handles because i still use them on high rod rests with bobbins ,and the strike is made while standing. (i refuse to use bolt rigs). long handles have less to do with fashion of the time and much more to do with practicality.--indeed , i rebuilt my Sealey Carpmaster with 24" handle because i bumped a couple of fish off when the handle hit the ground when sitting down and striking when i demoted it to swingtipping . use the rod on your feet , you want a long handle . sitting you need a short one

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Liphook wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:07 am I've often wondered myself why such long handles exist? I guess with reel bands or sliding winch fitting like the Autolock the user can use what suits. In the case of some rods like the two Vortex glass rods I 'deconstructed' I'm sure it served to mask ugly joints in materials allowing cheap dowel and solid glass rod to be hidden under cork!
one reason for dowel or metal tubing is ease of construction . you can use the same bore cork right thro' rather than bore each cork to fit a taper .

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

Tengisgol refers to the fact that the Abu Mark 6 had a ridiculously long handle. Many years ago, whilst still my girl fiend, my wife bought me one from Broatch's of Wolverhampton for Xmas. ( I was hoping for B & W CTM but that's another story) I naturally had to use this rod of course, not to do so would not have been good for my health. What I remember is the stupidly long handle and the very poor balance. Ultimately I ended up cutting 4/5 " off the handle and aralditing about 4 oz of lead up the blank. Only then did it do a passable impression of a fishing rod.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”