A O King of Farnham

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Gilbert
Rudd

A O King of Farnham

Post by Gilbert »

does anyone know who supplied cane to Kings of Farnham in Surrey?(founder of Farnham AS)

i have purchased a very nice cane fly rod with his moniker on it , but i don't think he produced his own cane .the rod is built to a very high standard with agates throughout ! ...snakes would have benefitted the action , but clearly the builder disagreed

any help would be welcome

cheers G

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Re: A O King of Farnham

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello,
In his book entitled A Fishy Tale .. missin' gone fishing, Robert Kirk states (p63) that

"We were making up 8' and 8' 9" parabolic fly rods using Southwell's split cane and we sold a lot to a Trade customer Albert King of Farnborough (should be Farnham?) who had a small tackle shop behind his hairdressing salon.

I think I have one of the 8' 9" rods mentioned above and here is a picture of the writing on it so that you can compare it with the writing on the rod that you bought

Not entirely conclusive I know but I hope that helps,

Geoff

Gilbert
Rudd

Re: A O King of Farnham

Post by Gilbert »

yep , that is helpful , and it is the right A O King . the last part of the inscription is very similar ,both in style and content. i figured it is a Southwell blank and i still do , knowing he supplied Mr King. the rod is 10'6" in 3 sections, with agates all thro' and built to a very high standard . it is unmolested having had little use .....probably too long to be a "go to" rod.. just needs a fresh coat of varnish. the writing on mine is by the same hand as on a R S Croydon signed MKIV which could mean summat or nowt. it would be interesting to see a pic of the silkwork on your rod
cheers G

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”