Rustic Catapult.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Rustic Catapult.

Post by Mr B »

I am in the process of making a new catapult, my old one is plastic!
I came across a nice shaped piece of cherry while I was at work and little sycamore sucker from a bigger tree.(I work as a tree officer)
I do have a few traditional catapults that I've made over the years but an Fishing catapult needs to be bigger to accommodate the balls of grown bait etc as you know.
I do have some elastic that I can use but I've got to work out the pattern for the leather pouch.
I can't enjoy sitting in the garden with a pen knife stripping off the bark I'm doing a bit of Whittling.
It was a nice week to start my week off work.
I'll post a photo once it's finished.

Mr B.
Ps. Sycamore is not the best wood to use for a rod rest but I like the shape, like the catapult the centre leader got damaged sometime and fell off so the two side shoots grow nicely and have a good shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: Rustic Catapult.

Post by TrentFisher »

A nice bit of fettling Mr B.
I for one will look forward to the finished items.

You have just reminded me I have two hazel rod rest needing to be finished.
A project for this weekend I think

All the best
Nige.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

TrentFisher wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 pm A nice bit of fettling Mr B.
I for one will look forward to the finished items.

You have just reminded me I have two hazel rod rest needing to be finished.
A project for this weekend I think

All the best
Nige.
I made a few rod rests a couple of months ago now, always better to make your own and there free!
Enjoy making yours too👍
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

All done.
I cheated and got a shop made pouch, only because I have used the before and they very good (Drennan)
The elastic I had and is fitted through wholes drilled through the Catapult that are twice as small as the elastic, ( They wont pull through) I have used method on my old normal catapults along with the modern flat bands.
I have posted a few photos for scale.
Mr B.
Ps The catapult is just as it is with the bark removed and finish with a pen knife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”