Chapman 500 ring sizes

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Chapman 500 ring sizes

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Hi chaps,
Can anyone advise the dimensions of the size 18 aqualite butt ring originally fitted to a 500 please?
Its the height, o/s dia and internal dia I'm trying to establish.
I can't see this info on the Chapman website??
Thanks in anticipation :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Chapman 500 ring sizes

Post by Olly »

That ring was used on the De Luxe not on the standard versions. Similarly the tip ring.

I am yet to see an original De Luxe in the flesh but my Paul Cook conversions have agate(ine) butt and tip rings.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

In reply to Olly and further to Jeremy's post, I, too, have never seen an untouched De Luxe. The two I own both came with serious issues which included missing butt rings, which would've been lined. I made sure that these defects were correctly reflected in the agreed prices, natch.
I have been reminded several times that the diameters of lined rings are generally quoted as the O.D. of the liner, be it ceramic, Aqualite-type glass or Agate. Bloomin' awkward. Why not just use I.D.? And yet un-lined rings are quoted in I.D.

H & H "How Do I Measure a Rod Guide":- "The Diameter is the size of the outside of the ceramic liner (not the frame)" "D". See their drawing.

On my "go to" 500 DL, ringed with full open bridges, the lined butt ring (Aqualite, cradle frame) is: OD: 22mm, OD liner: about 18.25mm, ID Liner: 12.30mm - near enough half-an-inch in real money and I bet that was the true dim when the ring was made. Height off blank: 28.7mm. I used a standard, threaded tip ring, as I still swing-tip and quiver fish. The swing-tip proves to be amazingly sensitive and demands absolute concentration.
The butt ring works well with the rod and is plenty big enough for either centrepin or a small fixed-spool, like a 308/908.
It looks right too, on what is a small rod; neither too big nor too small.
I am re-re-doing the other 500DL and am torn as to make it a pair with the go-to, or to ring it with high bells and appropriate butt and tip. I'll see.....
I think that nothing is definitive with Chapman rods of the 60s+. Fierce competition with early glass led to their using whatever came to hand at the right price. There are many variations. My original bag was made out of Blue Denim. I showed it to John, years ago; he laughed and said he remembered them being made. A roll of denim cropped-up at the right price!
Mike

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy this is the size and type I have on file. I have seen it on Chapman 500 DL, 550 Carp and on one or two Dennis Pye 700 rods.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Thanks chaps, very helpful. :Hat:

Special thanks to Wal for sorting me out......again! :rock:

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I don’t know if this helps or not, but both my 500 and 550 have this same ring. 25.5 od and 22 id.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Yes that's similar to my standard spec 500. The deluxe spec 500 had a lined ring. The ring in your photo looks in very good condition, new? Very nicely whipped on too :Hat:

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Jeremy, I wish I could take the credit for the whipping, but this was bought in a junk shop in 1982 for £12.
The 550 ( below), was bought just a few years ago and had red and green whipping, either side of the rings and cost a bit more! :whistle:
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Hi Jeremy. When I was doing up my 500 I gave John Chapman a call, and he could not have been more helpful. A true gent.
I contacted him via the website and asked if I could call and he said certainly I could.
I would suggest that if you still need information.
Best of luck.
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Thanks Keith,
I have spoken to John several times, he's a super chap and I could chat with him for hours!
Wal came to my rescue and the rod is now finished bar a polish when the varnish is hard. :Hat:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”