I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

The Hardy Reels forum.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: I’d like a Hardy Altex... but!

Post by ReelMaker »

I like the small no1had one years ago but sold it,Now I’d like a Hardex no1 but not to sure about bale arm wear ,they groove in most ,any one got a good one .Terry

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

A tale of two Altexes - or should that be Altices?

I am a relative newcomer to fishing with vintage tackle, assuming that my first time around 60 years ago does not count.
So my experience may or may not be of interest.

These two reels are both Altex no. 2 MkV, and both were made (or assembled) by Jack Luke. But they are like chalk and cheese.
Both were bought 'blind', and the prices paid were similar.

But the mechanics of the inferior reel (on the left) feel loose and wobbly, basically well worn, and the spool housing catches on the spool rim when I wind backwards. Never when I wind forwards - now why would that be?
The better reel is smooth and tight, with very little extra play, and the paintwork is more complete. It is a joy to use.
The clutches on both reels are superb, and the bail arms close as they should. I sent the first reel to Gary Mills to have a new bail arm roller and return spring fitted, and he told me that the Altex never did have a strong, snappy return spring.

I would no longer buy any reel without an assurance that it could be returned if not found satisfactory for any reason.
Having this assurance may mean that my reel costs me more. So be it.
I also try to cover myself by asking as many questions as possible of the seller or auction house. It's surprising what is sometimes revealed, just because I asked. Such as, "Are there any bits missing?" :oops:

And, as with estate agents, I learned to read between the lines of the description given.
"Good condition overall" generally means that there is something wrong with it.

Good luck with your search! :Thumb:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

As you write there is a massive difference between a worn Altex and one that has seen little use. It's taken me decades to find two really good ones. I'm of the opinion that they show the effects of wear perhaps more than say a Mitchel 300 will and are much more prone to damage from careless handling. Get a good one though and they really are wonderous little machines.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Hardy Reels”