12ft Aspindale, what choice....

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

12ft Aspindale, what choice....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Hi. I'm looking for a lightish 12ft cane rod and have read that Aspindale made some light cane rods. I have a Swimversa which I find a heavy rod and was looking to find a lighter rod for float fishing on stillwaters mainly, but rivers may crop up occasionally. Would anyone know the names of any hollow 12ft Aspindales please.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: 12ft Aspindale, what choice....

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Suredale and Severndale spring to mind.
Suredale has a whole cane butt, Severndale is all split cane.
Both a little top heavy however.
I have a Severndale which I will shorten and lengthen the handle. I did the same with my Suredale but then they're not 12 ft anymore!
I think any 12 ft cane rod will feel heavy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have an Aspindale Avon MKII in 12’ and it is just fabulous. Light, crisp and well balanced.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:48 pm Hi. I'm looking for a lightish 12ft cane rod and have read that Aspindale made some light cane rods. I have a Swimversa which I find a heavy rod and was looking to find a lighter rod for float fishing on stillwaters mainly, but rivers may crop up occasionally. Would anyone know the names of any hollow 12ft Aspindales please.

Thanks
BB
Just a thought...Would a Spanish reed rod be appropriate for the intended use? They tend to be very light for their length.
Maybe a reed butt and middle with a split cane tip?
Martin James made some good reed rods.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

If it has to be all built cane, a Severndale with a 1.5 to 2 ounce button weight added will feel much better balanced.
A Millwards featherlite is the lightest and nicely balanced 12ft rod I have ever owned. Highly recommended if reed would be acceptable to you.

An 11ft rod isnt much shorter but really can feel half the weight in use.

Wal.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

If you can drop slightly to 11ft I have a Aspindale Swiftdale and it is absolutely sublime. The most lovely rod I have ever held in my hands. I cannot recommend one enough.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Aero 892 would be the early offering, but these need examining carefully as they are dam-less and can delaminate if they have been twisted or the rod stored badly.

I don't think any rod can be called light at 12 feet and I'd personally give up the extra foot and go for an Aero 891 at 11 feet long.

I have an idea that 11 feet three inches is the most anyone could make that was not heavy to hold...the length a B.James Avocet is.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Thanks for all the replies everyone, but having a couple of rods at 10.6ft and one that I think is 11ft I will have a rethink. Maybe the Spanish Reed idea could be the answer, but I don't know. I have a J Pales rod which is I think 14ft, I'm wondering if that could be Spanish Reed.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”