Grice and Young Information

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
MacMan
Dace

Grice and Young Information

Post by MacMan »

Hi All,

Just including here a link to my website where you will find some information on Grice and Young Reels and the company itself. I'm an aussie, so it's a bit from a certain perspective. I started it when there was bugger all information available on the internet regarding these fine users. They are most sought after here in Australia despite being unfriendly in the salt water and having spokes/line lays, which I generally am not in favour of. I have also included Whiteadders excellent piece on the GY fly reels. Most of my articles could do with a good rewrite as I have found more information of the years. I am about to start on that very task.

https://www.macman.id.au/index.php/lude ... yers-guide

https://whiteaddersflyfishingmuseum.wee ... young.html

So great to see a Grice & Young Specific section on the forum.

Best Regards
Matt McHugh
Macman

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Grice and Young Information

Post by Liphook »

I've scoured both of those sites several times Matt - very useful information sources :Thumb: Really looking forward to your revamp/update :Hat: I've a fair collection of users, particularly liking the ARS and Avon Crown Competition. The 3D printed arbours that were offered for sale on here really are a great addition to these workhorse reels :Sun:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Love my G & Y ‘pins and your site Matt. All the best with the re-write!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Really nice to read your post.
I am a member of The Alvey Anglers Australia and love and collect Alvey reels. ( Full blown Englishman though)
But... how nice that you blokes have an interest in Grice and Young reels! As you say they are prone to salt corrosion if there not looked after, saying that my Sea Jecta I have had for years... I have a boat kept on the beach in Kent and the reel has been used in the sea mainly....I have just cleaned it up to use as a Pike reel.
I have saved your page.

Thank you, well done!

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A bit of ACF 50 keeps them I'm good order particularly if anywhere near brackish/saltwater. I actually like the paint rubbed/chipped "patina' mine have. They're definitely well used and much loved

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

Liphook wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:17 am The 3D printed arbours that were offered for sale on here really are a great addition to these workhorse reels :Sun:
Good to hear, took me a long time to get the GY arbour right. compared to the Speedia design which was much simpler.

Matt

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm not sure if I've put this up on here before...this is the site of the Agila factory taken over by Grice and Young as the Agila Works. Now housing with a fairly modern look:

Just a mile along from the famous Bridge Pool on the Hamps Avon, I was actually there buying a pizza oven nearby when this shot was taken in 2019.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”