Fishing lily pads?

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: Fishing lily pads?

Post by Grumpy »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 pm
Liphook wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:37 am Good glassfibre rod (Conoflex) with ceramic lined guides and a 'tough' 4 strand braid mainline (on a G&Y ARS 'pin) fg/pr knotted to a leader of clear 12lb clear maxima and a size 4 (Kamasn/drennan super specimen) is my usual set up for crusting the pads Dave :Sun:
(Not that I've done much of that this summer due to other commitments :surrender:)
You obviously mean business :Wink:

Grumpy If all else fails when stuck in lilies.....down to the panties My last fish that was stuck in lilies, meant a naked dip to free it. Had it occurred about three minutes later, a woman and her dog would have marveled at my fine masculine physique :eyebrow: that is hidden under a lot of flab and hair :Hahaha:
:Scared: :Hahaha:

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Dave, you need to be careful doing that, some of those carp aren’t too fussy about the size of worm they gulp down! :Chuckle:
:shocked:

:fish:
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Could open up a new topic: 'Who's caught Carp on a pinkie?'

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Thank you gentlemen :snooty:

Maybe I should start a thread on how many times I've entered my swim naked :eyebrow:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 am Could open up a new topic: 'Who's caught Carp on a pinkie?'
Once fed the carp at Versaille with croissant and they readily sucked my pinkie (little finger) when offered at the surface. They were like fishy pets!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Talk about an off topic swerve :Hahaha:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I fish a local club water with lily pads and to be honest its a bit hit or miss... if you hook one and don't pile on the pressure to steer them away, they get in and you can lose them... I use an 8' Sharpe Salmon Spinning rod which had a good bit of backbone to it and occasionally one still gets away
This is my favourite swim on the pool... the pads have seen the odd carp out some to mid doubles but a couple have got back in and slipped the hook... they seem to have a knack for transferring the hook to weed stems so its best to get them away quickly
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

If you look closely, you'll be able to see some Japanese soldiers who have yet to surrender hiding in those lilies!

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”