Trace wire

This forum is for discussing pike.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Trace wire

Post by Grumpy »

Afternoon Gents,
With the Pike season now upon us,I was wondering what your preferred brand of trace wire is.I have used Drennan seven strand in 15lb for years with no problems.
Looking forward to your replies.
Grumpy.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Trace wire

Post by Duckett »

I use Knot2Kinky for all my wire lure traces. Brilliant stuff. I don’t bait fish for pike, so never tried it for that.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

15lb sounds a bit light to me, i use esox brand both 24 & 36lb

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Prefer Rio, I think it's 24lb, and you can knot it.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Santiago wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm Prefer Rio, I think it's 24lb, and you can knot it.
Is that the plastic coated one that you can knot like the Knot2Kinky I use? I’ve seen fly anglers using it but never lure or bait. How do you find it for not getting kinks, which has always been my top priority with wire leaders for lures.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It's OK, better than most, but it eventually gets a very wee kink. If you really want kink free go for titanium wire, but it can get fatigued and snap as it's fairly brittle and doesn't knot.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Santiago wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:32 pm It's OK, better than most, but it eventually gets a very wee kink. If you really want kink free go for titanium wire, but it can get fatigued and snap as it's fairly brittle and doesn't knot.
Cheers Santiago. Think I’ll stick with Knot2Kinky which is nickel and titanium, does knot and, so far, no breakages!

Phil

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Not much in the way of pike fishing down here in the far west. I'm still using a small spool from Winfield!
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I tried Titanium and ceased using it after one go! It is comparatively brittle to some other wires.

I started with single strand Alasticum in the '60s. Moved to twisted wires of a variety of makes. Drennan being consistently better. Until I found Berkley Big Game Steelstrand in 20lb and ET 7 strand at 30lb. Lastly Fox 49 or a Drennan one.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

15lb is too light in my opinion. I wouldn't consider anything under the 27lb I use.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”