New Burley.

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

New Burley.

Post by Mr B »

I have just taken delivery of this lovely rod.
I picked it up second hand after the heads up from a fellow TFF member.
Its a Dawsons of Bromley Burley.
I wanted it for Pike fishing this season to go with my other longer rod. ( another story)
This one is 9ft 2 inch... has a stiff action with plenty of power but still some give..
It had an unusual tip ring ( Tulip I think they call them?) and has a nice little keeper ring too.
I have only really seen keeper rings on fly and spinning rods.
I know there was quite a range of Burley's be interesting to know what this one was listed as originally?
If only Peter Dawson was still with us, I pass his house every day and often park outside to have a cup of tea and a sandwich from the backers up the road. (1 Chatterton Road Bromley, Dawsons, not the bakers)

Mr B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: New Burley.

Post by Olly »

I have a variety of makers rods with Tulip end rings - mostly Allcocks.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Lovely that. Might be worth a thin coat of fresh varnish over the top just to ensure it’s all sealed in.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

My Sharpes Scottie Salmon Spinner has a tulip end ring.....your Burley looks to be a similar rod.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, it is a nice rod... interesting point about the Sharps Scottie spinning rod, with the same tip..
It is quite stiff for a spinning rod, but, different times then.. and it dose have a small keeper ring..
I will defiantly give it a "Wash and Brush up"(coat of varnish to keep the weather out and freshen it up a little)
The lined Tulip Tip ring and but ring I do like.. great condition..yes, nice little rod.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I think the Burley was a Pike rod :tea:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Harry H wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:39 pm I think the Burley was a Pike rod :tea:
Yes, I think it is too... I had the heads up from a veteran TFF member about this rod ....because I was looking for a Pike rod ( got two now!) the other one is in hollow glass and it is the creme Dela creme!)
I was just Curious about its catalogue listing especially because it has the small keeper ring and the tulip tip ring.
I have just given it a coat of varnish and it's looking terrific!

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”