Reel Repaint

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Reel Repaint

Post by Pallenpool »

Silfield wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:30 pm
NiceRoach wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm
Silfield wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 am
Caneforme wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm Does anyone on here or can anyone recommended anyone who can repaint reels?

I have a couple of Hardy Altex reels that I am looking to use on my AJ Davis rod and they could do with a new coat of paint.

John :)
I am in a similar predicament John, I have a Altex in a similar state but mine has been previously, roughly, painted in gloss British Racing Green :shocked:
Do I strip and repaint or do I leave as is?
That's different, and painting it gloss the wrong colour was an act of vandalism in my opinion

:tea:
I am with you on that one. God only knows what type of paint was used as it seems impervious to carefully applied paint stripper and I am resorting to picking bits off with a scalpel to see what the finish is like underneath. Not very promising so far.
As Peter has stated, the finish appears to be an etched rather than surface finish.
Fantastic looking reel Peter-not seen one with the claw before. :Thumb:
The clamp foot Ian was mostly found on the 3’s that were developed for Salmon and saltwater fishing with the workings all being protected against corrosion. However a few were special order at Hardy and made as one offs this being one. It’s a 3 with clamp foot but it’s use is purely for freshwater. It is as you say a beauty - and has undergone a full restoration inside & out.
Whatever condition an Altex looks like that’s fine with me - it’s the workings that should be looked over - but gloss green? I can see your need to remove it. Possibly when done leave it in ‘clean’ metal finish similar to the reel above.
All the best
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

I've repainted quite a few reels,mostly FSR's and they've all been pretty good.Once disassembled,the body parts must be absolutely devoid of dirt and grease.Always use a primer.Car aerosol paint is a good choice.Painting the spool is easy.Mount the spool on a pencil or similar that is a tight fit,other end of the pencil into a cordless drill.Set the trigger with tape or wire to give you a nice rotation,if it's too quick the spool may work loose !!! Don't get too close to the item being sprayed.If the coating looks good,STOP SPRAYING.Let it rotate slowly for a further 10 or 15 minutes.Now you can stop the rotation and leave it to harden for a few hours before,perhaps,a second coat.I do 2 primer and 2 colour.For the reel body,pencil through the handle hole.It's almost impossible to get paint runs if you rotate the item.Satin black will give you a Mitchell esque finish and you'll be very pleased with yourself...

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Silfield wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:30 pm
NiceRoach wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm
Silfield wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 am
Caneforme wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm Does anyone on here or can anyone recommended anyone who can repaint reels?

I have a couple of Hardy Altex reels that I am looking to use on my AJ Davis rod and they could do with a new coat of paint.

John :)
I am in a similar predicament John, I have a Altex in a similar state but mine has been previously, roughly, painted in gloss British Racing Green :shocked:
Do I strip and repaint or do I leave as is?
That's different, and painting it gloss the wrong colour was an act of vandalism in my opinion

:tea:
I am with you on that one. God only knows what type of paint was used as it seems impervious to carefully applied paint stripper and I am resorting to picking bits off with a scalpel to see what the finish is like underneath. Not very promising so far.
As Peter has stated, the finish appears to be an etched rather than surface finish.
Fantastic looking reel Peter-not seen one with the claw before. :Thumb:
Silfield have you tried using Dettol to get the paint off ? I Know it sounds strange but after reading about it on another forum I tried it on one of my beach Multis that had been attacked by Pers u/k using some otherwise stubborn paint.

Worked a treat although I could not say why .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:11 pm

Silfield have you tried using Dettol to get the paint off ? I Know it sounds strange but after reading about it on another forum I tried it on one of my beach Multis that had been attacked by Pers u/k using some otherwise stubborn paint.

Worked a treat although I could not say why .

David
Thanks David, not tried it yet but will give it a go. I had put the reel on the back burner for a while until I had finished a couple of rods, which seem to have taken an age due to varnishing 'issues'
Tis about time I pulled my finger out and had another go as it would be good to use it this coming season :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”