Who has what catalogue

This is an index of catalogues held by forum members.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Who has what catalogue

Post by Nobby »

Ah, must be a different year then, my apologies...my memory isn't what it once was. I did read that they started out by selling tackle 'out the back of a van' as they visited tackle shops. I did find that they ended up in Brixton after leaving Wallington and Carshalton, and later traded as Black Seal.

Looks like it was the 1958 one that was the Harcork 'proof'

Fine print, I nearly missed it:

Jeff Dell Mura put a £50m reward on his book Hooked on Floats for whoever identified the maker of Harcork floats but I didn't have the nerve to claim it as I had only borrowed his book, not purchased one. Nevertheless we've been pals ever since and he has a new book out soon on cast holders.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have MARCO ( Modern Arms Company Ltd ) Fishing Tackle 1978 (Wholesale and Export only)

1978, so glass and early carbon.
Mitchell 200 and 300 series reels; Intrepid
Grice & Young centrepins
Robin Harris floats
Exotic baits: Wheat, Hemp, Tares (Boy, if they only knew!)
And a small range of pole fishing specialities!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here is an update to my catalogue list:
Hardy's 62nd edition 1954/55
J.B. Walker fishing tackle 1962, 1970/71
Richard Foreshaw & Co. 1972
Marco Fishing Tackle 1978
Milbro 1973, 1975
Pegley-Davies Ltd 1973

Walkers of Trowell 1997, 1998
The Ultimate Tackle Directory, Danson Angling 1997
Rod Hutchinson / Catchum 86/87, 87/88, 1988
Penge Angling 1997/98
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just arrived this morning ... copies of "Catalogue No. 17" (1937) and "Catalogue Catalogue No. 19" (1939) published by Albert Smith and Co. Ltd. from their Dominion Works, Redditch ... and what a marvellous resource they are.

The 1937 catalogue stretches to 184 pages, 21 pages of which are dedicated to rods of every description from roach to tope !!! 125 different models ... ranging from (in the section entitled "Cycle, Pocket, or Trunk Rods" ... "Number 61. 5 joint. Whole cane, Balance Handle, Length, with long top 10ft, with short top 8ft. Price 19 shillings," to "The Goliath Steel Sea Rod. No. 233. An EXCEEDINGLY POWERFUL STEEL SEA ROD (their bold type) with handsome appearance. Two joints, with long cork grip, winch fitted, rubber button, porcelain rings, partition bag. Length 7ft. weight 16oz. Price 30 shillings each."

I also love the little comments left at the foot of pages as space fillers ... such as "Light weight rods and other rods are made for fishing with, and are not intended for SHOULDER STAFFS, to carry Heavy Baskets or bags."

The final page lists the charges for having fish mounted in "Case with Bent Glass Front, Glass Ends, and Gilt Edging." This was charged entirely by weight regardless of species, for example "1lb ,,, £1 10 0" ... "10lb ... £4 15 0" ... "30LB ... £11 0 0." You could also have "Gold Letters on Front Glass. Price 2d per Letter."

The 1939 catalogue is, sadly, in poor condition, missing it's cover, and some pages ... but is still a remarkable resource.

If anyone has any questions about the contents of these treasures I will, of course, do my best to answer them.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Ogden Smiths c.1939.... not a catalog but a fishing /log/ diary of blank pages .a few entries dated from July 1939 ! Promotional adverts between pages giving a wealth of info as to Og.Sm. stock of rods, reels etc....... generally only brief descriptions!....However a GREAT bench mark for research. :read: ....... All changed after the war, a company with a different direction!!.........Tony

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

Hi Guys,
Would anyone here be able to scan a copy of a 1900/01 Hardy catalogue and an Aspindale catalogue showing the Aero rods from circa 1949?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Unfortunately I too have been looking for an Aspindale catalogue - have bits of one. I dont think they actually did one - but some rods are shown on here. I have about 15+ Aspindale rods.

Hardy catalogues:- https://splitcaneinfo.com/?page_id=653

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

Thanks Olly. Managed to find a Hardy catalogue thanks to your link. I’m still trying to identify my Aspindale which I think is an Aero. I’ve measured everything, guide spacings, tapers and weights of each rod section but no luck in finding any Aero owners who could measure theirs for comparison.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

Thanks again Olly. I’ve actually looked at the info on that website before. There’s some useful info there though. From that website and various others I’ve compiled a list of what I think my rod isn’t.
What it isn’t…
Suredale has a whole cane butt
Severndale has a 20” handle
Foredale has a whole cane butt
Windale 11ft whole cane butt
Gemdale weighs 10ozs
Avon’s have whole cane butts
Aero Wizard has a whole cane butt
Silverdale is Spanish Reed
Temedale is 9ft long
Thamesdale is 14ft & detachable butt
Dalesman whole cane middle &butt
Croftdale made of aluminium alloy
Markdale has Spanish Reed butt & middle sections
Withamdale whole cane butt & middle sections
Goldale 10ft
Kimdale 11ft detachable butt
Matchdale whole cane butt
Avondale whole cane butt
Match 913 has a whole cane butt and middle section.

As far as I know, these specifications are correct but I’d welcome any further information.
There must be someone out there with an Aero 12ft that they could measure for me!

Return to “Catalogues Held by Members”