Chapman "The Chess"

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Barbelbonce
Rudd

Chapman "The Chess"

Post by Barbelbonce »

I know that Chapmans named many of their rods after Hertfordshire rivers and streams.
I note that there is a Chess Stream as a tributary of the Sussex Adur (see Danesman's Strikeright?? topic, still active).
I wonder....?.....No. It is in the Colne catchment.
I think I'll put it about that a Chapman rod has Sussex roots.....! Our claim to fame.
Mike

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Chapman "The Chess"

Post by Ljm183 »

Barbelbonce wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm I know that Chapmans named many of their rods after Hertfordshire rivers and streams.
I note that there is a Chess Stream as a tributary of the Sussex Adur (see Danesman's Strikeright?? topic, still active).
I wonder....?.....No. It is in the Colne catchment.
I think I'll put it about that a Chapman rod has Sussex roots.....! Our claim to fame.
Mike
Sorry to disapoint Mike

" The Chess Valley Walk is a 10 mile route following the River Chess upstream from the small town of Rickmansworth in south-west Hertfordshire to the market town of Chesham in Buckinghamshire. The river is a natural chalk stream, fed by chalk aquifers in the Chiltern Hills."

Although they did make a Sea rod called "The Seaford" East Sussex. and the "The Portland" Dorset. Apparently Ron Chapman used to dissappear down there often. :Wink:

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Yes, of course! And I seem to remember John telling me years ago that they occasionally went boat fishing out of Southend. February Cod, anyone?!
I used to fish the Gade when I lived near Watford. I should've remembered the Chess as part of the Colne system, without looking up the Colne catchment maps!
Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I can assure you it is not in Kent or even Sussex!

View: -http: //www.environmentdata.org/archive/ealit:3023

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”