Henry A.Murton and E.Kerry “Black Gnat”

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Walkerburt
Roach

Henry A.Murton and E.Kerry “Black Gnat”

Post by Walkerburt »

I’m particularly interested in Guides and Catalogues by the two named dealers above, specifically:

Henry A.Murton of Newcastle.

The New Angler’s Guide to Northumbria. 1894

The Angler’s Guide to the Rivers and Streams of the North Countries. 1896
...and/or the maps which usually flew out of the catalogue!

E.Kerry, “Black Gnat” of Lockton, near Pickering, Yorkshire.

“Black Gnat’s” Fly Tackle in all it’s Branches - I have the 1934/5, 1936, and 1939/40 catalogues, looking to fill in a few gaps.

If any kind members have copies from these dealers, I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Kind Regards
Phil
The Watcher by the Bridge

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Henry A.Murton and E.Kerry “Black Gnat”

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Phil, I have a couple of E Kerry Fly and Spinning rod catalogues. They both have no date on them and both have lots of ink writing added to update the prices etc. They both have pages cut out at the rear too so probably rods that were no longer available. I think they may be from near the end of his business days.
I'll photograph them tomorrow and put them on here for you.

Wal.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:22 pm Hi Phil, I have a couple of E Kerry Fly and Spinning rod catalogues. They both have no date on them and both have lots of ink writing added to update the prices etc. They both have pages cut out at the rear too so probably rods that were no longer available. I think they may be from near the end of his business days.
I'll photograph them tomorrow and put them on here for you.

Wal.
Thanks Wal,
I’ll look forward to seeing the images
Kind Regards
Phil

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Walkerburt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:47 pm I’m particularly interested in Guides and Catalogues by the two named dealers above, specifically:

Henry A.Murton of Newcastle.

The New Angler’s Guide to Northumbria. 1894

The Angler’s Guide to the Rivers and Streams of the North Countries. 1896
...and/or the maps which usually flew out of the catalogue!

E.Kerry, “Black Gnat” of Lockton, near Pickering, Yorkshire.

“Black Gnat’s” Fly Tackle in all it’s Branches - I have the 1934/5, 1936, and 1939/40 catalogues, looking to fill in a few gaps.

If any kind members have copies from these dealers, I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Kind Regards
Phil

Oh, and this - I’ve never seen one, and neither has Paul Morgan at Coch-y-Bonddhu Books.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The two I have are identical and both have the same 10 pages missing from the back.

No signs of a date on them but here are the pictures of the contents.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wal.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:53 pm The two I have are identical and both have the same 10 pages missing from the back.

No signs of a date on them but here are the pictures of the contents.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wal.
Wal, that’s terrific, many thanks indeed

The date escapes me as well, but I think they’re later than my 1939/40 issue (which had the date on the title page) and the sticker states “no labour available” which could indicate a later WW11 year, when labour WAS scarce.

Great to see them, gives me hope in my searches, thanks again

Kind Regards
Phil

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

PPS....

All my 4 Catalogues state “Fly Tackle in all its Branches” on the title page, with no mention of Spinning Rods, as in yours, so he’s changed the printing, presumably at a later date than 1939/40 to include this.

Phil

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Managed to pick up another one, 1931 this time.

ImageImage

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Wal, I have to say that I love your paperweight!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi, thanks for sharing the catalogue, I have got a E Kerry Lockton Pickering York rod a 10' 2 piece fly rod with sheet cork handle and brass - bronze fittings. the rod looks like a Hardy Bross The Perfection fly rod - 1930's. Plenty of power in the butt section quite light and probably a HEH or HDH wt line and that would be a #5 or #6 in todays AFTM equivalent.

Thank's to you, it would seem the rod is a Black Gnat rod no 1, It needs a new tip as the original is some 10 inches short, I have been thinking of making a new tip for it with the planing form I made a couple of years ago. I did not know what the taper was but I have successfully used Hexrod to calculate the taper for the ten inches missing from the tip of the rod, I think it will be a nice rod to fish.

I got these pictures from Grahams Vintage Tackle as he has one for sale on his website you can see for yourself they would of been nice rods. The rod I have is whipped in crimson or burgandy silk thread with a signature wrap starting at the handle as follows five bands of silk intermediates followed by Four bands of silk inermediates and then Three bands followed by single intermediates spaced at 9/16ths of an inch intervals.

E Kerry_10ft_Fly_butt the butt.jpg
E Kerry_10ft_Fly_top the tip.jpg
If you are interested in making one for yourself I have got the planing form dimentions for the rods taper, just ping me a message and I will post it for you.

Regards Trevor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”