Like buses

This forum is for discussing tench.
Ian
Eel

Like buses

Post by Ian »

I wait all year for a tench and three come at once.

I caught these in the early days of April this year.This had to be a red letter day for the white loch,as one tench makes for a good day.Someone was smiling at me that day,as the fish were caught in order of the smallest (4lb 12oz) to the biggest (5lb 9oz),with the one in between being 5lb 6oz.
I will never catch fifteen and a half pound (or there about) of tench for three fish ever again.I enjoyed that one.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Like buses

Post by Liphook »

Given the latitude your fishing at Ian they are fantastic fish and very worthy of 'red letter' mention :Hat: I know because I spent years fishing in D&G and caught only one (very lucky) tench just over the magical 6lb mark and 5's were definitely remarkable captures. In the decades I spent South of Watford that magical mark went from 8lb then on to 9lb as waters got "filled in' with mass baiting from the predominance of carp anglers. Well done mate :Thumb:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Ian.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A very well done Sir - they look beauties too👍
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:00 pm Given the latitude your fishing at Ian they are fantastic fish and very worthy of 'red letter' mention :Hat: I know because I spent years fishing in D&G and caught only one (very lucky) tench just over the magical 6lb mark and 5's were definitely remarkable captures. In the decades I spent South of Watford that magical mark went from 8lb then on to 9lb as waters got "filled in' with mass baiting from the predominance of carp anglers. Well done mate :Thumb:
Thanks Liphook.

I agree totally,big tench in Scottish waters are very thin on the ground Liphook.The window of opportunity to catch tench here is very short lived due to the changeable weather.A good year and there’s a chance of a few between March and May,if spring is mild enough.They don’t seem to feed the same after these months.Obviously one reason is because of spawning in June,but even after that they don’t show up.I would say bream are the same,though they can be caught at night.
Talk about bremes,we were at loch rutton a week past Sunday.The water was up by about 4ft,so I was fishing in around 9ft of water,instead of 5ft,for a change.I didn’t realise the roach fishing was so good in rutton.We caught a load on corn,they were going mad for it.The weather was diabolical to say the least,and I’m finding that’s the best time to fish rutton.I managed a few small hybrids and skimmers,but my,the roach fishing was exceptional.
I’ve never known a loch to be so on/off and it seems the wetter and windier,the better.A sunny day and you wouldn’t think there’s fish in it.I also witnessed a young boy losing a very big toothy fella first light during one of my all-nighters.Rutton has some surprises I’d say👍.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Mark wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:32 pmWell done Ian.
Thank you mark.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:04 pm A very well done Sir - they look beauties too👍
One of those days when I could have cast behind me and caught a fish,ha.

Thanks Peter.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well done Ian

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a great achievement, well done! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”