Lovely surprise

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Lovely surprise

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done Dave, a lovely gesture! Missed seeing you at Redditch today, maybe next time! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Lovely story Catfish.017, you’ve clearly been at this game a very long time, just like me. I wonder what it is that somehow captivates us about brooks, streams, ponds. In fact any kind of water. I took my boy pike fishing twenty years ago and he caught a sixteen pounder from the Wye. But he never went fishing again….
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Troydog wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:27 am Lovely story Catfish.017, you’ve clearly been at this game a very long time, just like me. I wonder what it is that somehow captivates us about brooks, streams, ponds. In fact any kind of water. I took my boy pike fishing twenty years ago and he caught a sixteen pounder from the Wye. But he never went fishing again….
Our younger daughter, fished a very few times in company with myself, my nephew and my neighbours lad, all around nine years old (except me!) I didn't fish on these trips, just spent the day baiting hooks, unhooking fish and sorting out various tangles and squabbles! Our older grandson is now eight years old and despite my best efforts is completely disinterested unless we take lots of snacks . My last roll of the dice, our younger grandson is only sixteen months at present, hopefully he has inherited the 'fishing' gene.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Lots of snacks Catfish.017 ! That is funny. I have a fishing buddy (TFF member) who has a 12year old grandson. This boy has been treated to 5lb chub, double figure pike, big barbel on the Wye. He has also caught 5lb tench and larger carp on a syndicate water. Anyway, last week they went out again, and, as usual, the boy started the session by eating a fairly large amount of food and snacks. After about half an hour he asked to go home!!
Bless them all, these boys, in this world of instant gratification. But one thing is sure, they will never become passionate anglers….
John Harding

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

It most certainly is an age of instant gratification, no doubt about it; I'm not sure that is the problem though. I first took Ethan, our grandson fishing at the age of four having previously taken him after tadpoles a few times. I chose the venue carefully, a tiny pond that's not really considered to be worth fishing but I had seen 'small stuff' coming up to bread as we fed the resident ducks. I suspected these were Rudd but a short session with a little 'whip' and maggot saw us catch Roach to six ounces,Gudgeon and finally a half pound Brown Goldfish! Ethan was most excited, we kept half a dozen fish at a time in a bucket of water which was emptied and refilled several times and shown off to anyone who passed by. So fish were caught on our very first outing and subsequent outings to different waters were all successful though to a lesser degree. I thought that would be enough but it wasn't to be. Compared with the initiation my pal and I had, starting in the depths of Winter with no mentor to guide us, it was literally months before we caught anything and we really did go fishing? Almost every weekend from Christmas through to late April when the stunted Rudd on the little Boating Lake began to feed in earnest.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Catfish.017 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:56 pm It most certainly is an age of instant gratification, no doubt about it; I'm not sure that is the problem though. I first took Ethan, our grandson fishing at the age of four having previously taken him after tadpoles a few times. I chose the venue carefully, a tiny pond that's not really considered to be worth fishing but I had seen 'small stuff' coming up to bread as we fed the resident ducks. I suspected these were Rudd but a short session with a little 'whip' and maggot saw us catch Roach to six ounces,Gudgeon and finally a half pound Brown Goldfish! Ethan was most excited, we kept half a dozen fish at a time in a bucket of water which was emptied and refilled several times and shown off to anyone who passed by. So fish were caught on our very first outing and subsequent outings to different waters were all successful though to a lesser degree. I thought that would be enough but it wasn't to be. Compared with the initiation my pal and I had, starting in the depths of Winter with no mentor to guide us, it was literally months before we caught anything and we really did go fishing? Almost every weekend from Christmas through to late April when the stunted Rudd on the little Boating Lake began to feed in earnest.
We are a dying breed Catfish. As a child, I would sit in all weathers with blind optimism, little bait and no tutor just hoping for another bite. Nowadays our grandkids are gratified with a change of camera angle, flash, ping, or some other sensual excitement every two or three seconds. Computer games are like heroin heck, my two are happy just to watch some over stimulated imbecile talk you through his own gaming experience. These Youtube videos come at a high paced almost evangelical delivery that feeds suggestions and waffle to their followers. :Hair out:

There are exceptions but most kids have been programmed to avoid quiet contemplation and the appreciation of one's surroundings.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:54 am
Catfish.017 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:56 pm It most certainly is an age of instant gratification, no doubt about it; I'm not sure that is the problem though. I first took Ethan, our grandson fishing at the age of four having previously taken him after tadpoles a few times. I chose the venue carefully, a tiny pond that's not really considered to be worth fishing but I had seen 'small stuff' coming up to bread as we fed the resident ducks. I suspected these were Rudd but a short session with a little 'whip' and maggot saw us catch Roach to six ounces,Gudgeon and finally a half pound Brown Goldfish! Ethan was most excited, we kept half a dozen fish at a time in a bucket of water which was emptied and refilled several times and shown off to anyone who passed by. So fish were caught on our very first outing and subsequent outings to different waters were all successful though to a lesser degree. I thought that would be enough but it wasn't to be. Compared with the initiation my pal and I had, starting in the depths of Winter with no mentor to guide us, it was literally months before we caught anything and we really did go fishing? Almost every weekend from Christmas through to late April when the stunted Rudd on the little Boating Lake began to feed in earnest.
We are a dying breed Catfish. As a child, I would sit in all weathers with blind optimism, little bait and no tutor just hoping for another bite. Nowadays our grandkids are gratified with a change of camera angle, flash, ping, or some other sensual excitement every two or three seconds. Computer games are like heroin heck, my two are happy just to watch some over stimulated imbecile talk you through his own gaming experience. These Youtube videos come at a high paced almost evangelical delivery that feeds suggestions and waffle to their followers. :Hair out:

There are exceptions but most kids have been programmed to avoid quiet contemplation and the appreciation of one's surroundings.
Dave I think I know that over stimulated imbecile you allude to! Our daughter banned the kids from watching him and rightly so!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I think that you are right about the dying breed. But does it matter? Isn’t it just the evolution of the species? I remember the Merstham brook that ran under Nuffield road. We spent many hours trying to catch sticklebacks (three spined) with red worm on a pin. Got to try catching newts in the British Sand quarry before we kept getting chased away by the workers. Tiny roach at Nutfield Priory, then the lure of Earlswood Lakes where there were some real grown up fisherman to watch.I persuaded one to give me three six inch perch that I took home in a bucket and put a my dads metal wheelbarrow. I had planned to stock the sand quarry and create a fishery, but the perch died overnight….
I have absolutely no idea what to make of modern society and culture or how children should deal with it, but the stuff we did sixty or seventy years ago will never be repeated. It is simply a different world.
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You are right Tim, it's out of hands. All we need is an asteroid to shuffle the pack and start again :tea:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Never mind Catfish 0.17 and Dave, I went up to Newbridge on Wye with Old Wulf today. I cooked the breakfast and he caught three beautiful grayling, on the waggler, all over the pound. Wonderful day!!
John Harding

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”