Roach Reflections

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Troydog
Tench

Re: Roach Reflections

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for this vid Mark. I have a 3 inch square steel block on the end of a steel pole that I found (stole) from a building site 35 years ago. For coarse crumb I go to the cash and carry where they sell out of date brown cut loaves for 10p each. I take these home and dry them on a plastic sheet in the spare room. Then, using a large plastic bucket i crunch the bread with the steel and then put the crumb through a maggot sieve. Crumb that doesn’t go through the sieve can be made into coarser ground bait, or it can be crunched again.
Best,
Tim
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Troydog wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:19 pm Thank you for this vid Mark. I have a 3 inch square steel block on the end of a steel pole that I found (stole) from a building site 35 years ago. For coarse crumb I go to the cash and carry where they sell out of date brown cut loaves for 10p each. I take these home and dry them on a plastic sheet in the spare room. Then, using a large plastic bucket i crunch the bread with the steel and then put the crumb through a maggot sieve. Crumb that doesn’t go through the sieve can be made into coarser ground bait, or it can be crunched again.
Best,
Tim
I should think you get through a lot of groundbait on the Wye. I tend to use fairly small amounts these days.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Here's the next Roach Reflection which is Part 35 about the moving feeder:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

It is amazing how much groundbait the match boys use on the Wye. On the way to a one hundred pound bag on Sunday, men were feeding a ball of groundbait and loose feeding every cast.
I just dont fish like that. Here we are in November and I still haven’t mixed any up yet. Ive been loose feeeding, fishing hemp, tares and corn all Autumn so far. It has been so warm. When it gets colder and I’m fishing maggot / caster / red worm then I’ll start with 50% GG and 50% molehill.
Woody, who runs one of Herefords tackle shops says I feed too light. I reply that you can always put it (feed) in, but you can’t take it out!
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you Mark. Great vid on the moving feeder. I can’t buy them less than 10 grams but these are too heavy for some of my favourite roach swims. So I have been out and found some mesh and am busy making lightweight feeders. I’ve sieved some very fine white bread to use and I’ll probably start with flake on the hook.
As the Wye drops and clears, with no real rain forecast for the rest of November, this method could be ideal for my two piece, eleven foot Drennan Acolyte ……
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Something a bit different for my trotting series. Here's Part 9:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I enjoyed that Mark, I am hoping to fish for some Grayling soon. Watching your film has prompted me to make some plans! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

My thoughts on the Mitchell Match:

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Hi Mark
I have really enjoyed your videos , thanks for doing them ! Some really interesting stuff . I have found an old Mitchell match in my collection and will be giving it a quick refurb and then it will get an airing .
I am fascinated by the "moving " feeder tactic and will be giving it a go .

Tight Lines
DWW

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Also posted in Reels but here's a video I've just done on servicing a Mitchell Match:

Return to “Fishing Films”