Along Fisherman’s Paths by Mike Winter

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Martin James
Tench

Along Fisherman’s Paths by Mike Winter

Post by Martin James »

Recently I was given a book as a present for my 84th, by a very dear friend Mark. I have just finished reading Along Fisherman’s Paths by Mike Winter. Without doubt its one of the best books I have read, standing alongside Mr Crabtree and Still Water Angling. Even the small farm pond at the start of Mike’s fishing, is similar to the one I first fished in 1942. Merlins Brook resembled the tiny river Len, I also fished many of the streams he mentions in Devon. The Upper Ouse, Dicks hut, Hampshire Avon Dorset Stour, the Frome where there are big grayling and other waters. I can't think of a better Christmas present for an angler who cares about the past.

https://www.medlarpress.com/Authors/mike-winter.html

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Along Fisherman’s Paths by Mike Winter

Post by Mark »

It is a lovely book Martin, Mike sadly passed away on the 19th December 2013 after a long illness according to the Medlar Press website.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I bought and read it after the first recommendation earlier this year. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Martin James wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:22 pm Recently I was given a book as a present for my 84th, by a very dear friend Mark. I have just finished reading Along Fisherman’s Paths by Mike Winter. Without doubt its one of the best books I have read, standing alongside Mr Crabtree and Still Water Angling. Even the small farm pond at the start of Mike’s fishing, is similar to the one I first fished in 1942. Merlins Brook resembled the tiny river Len, I also fished many of the streams he mentions in Devon. The Upper Ouse, Dicks hut, Hampshire Avon Dorset Stour, the Frome where there are big grayling and other waters. I can't think of a better Christmas present for an angler who cares about the past.

https://www.medlarpress.com/Authors/mike-winter.html
A great recommendation Martin, thank you. I have ordered my copy too now. :Hat:
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It is a lovely book and I have a few letters from Mike tucked into my copy. He wrote beautifully and was very generous with his knowledge and ideas. I wish I had had the chance to meet him in person and thoroughly endorse Martin’s recommendation.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”