Avon Royal Supreme line guide?

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Avon Royal Supreme line guide?

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
On the excellent recommendation of fellow TFF'ers, I purchased a ARS...a lovely if a little (big!) grubby reel (even after a good clean and service), but it all adds to its character. The intention is to use this for carp in the summer. My first question is, as the line guard has a slight crack in it, is this as critical to function as a roller guide would be for a fixed spool? Second question, is there any way of cleaning the back of the outer casing (although I'm not going to lose too much sleep over this)?
Thanks in advance and regards Cat

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Avon Royal Supreme line guide?

Post by Liphook »

Cleaning the stippled backplate is perhaps best done initially with a bit of warm soapy water and an old toothbrush. WD40 is also good for this if you have stubborn stains (it's a poor lubricant but good for cleaning and of course it's original purpose as a water displacement). Regarding the line guard, I've removed mine primarily for Wallis casting, but also because unless you have a butt guide that is very close to the reel the guard creates an adfitional angle that the line must run/wear over. So I guess it's a case of where exactly that crack is as to whether it will catch/affect the line? Can it perhaps be repaired with a suitable blob of epoxy/JB Weld putty? I'll see if I have a spare line guard kicking about....now where is that box of spares..... :Hat:

Cat
Chub

Re: Avon Royal Supreme line guide?

Post by Cat »

Thanks Liphook...appreciated.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”