Guilty pleasures II ....... another Floatcraft

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Guilty pleasures II ....... another Floatcraft

Post by Duckett »

I like to have a little project to work on over the Christmas holidays, so when I spotted a Millward’s Floatcraft, unloved and unwanted, I grabbed it!

It was a bit of a risk as the front plate looked filthy whist someone had done something akin to sandblasting to remove a patch of corrosion from the backplate. However, at the worst, I would have a donor reel at a fair price.

Putting it to one side a few weeks ago, I took it out on Christmas morning. The backplate, pin and ratchet mechanism where all fine, shining in the case of the ratchet switch! The patch of corrosion was gone but so was most of the paint. The white filled Millward engraving was clear.

The front plate was a very different matter! It was filthy! She wouldn’t spin at all, the handles where frozen and the thumb wheel was stuck firm! I gave her a basic scrub up with a brush, a good cleaning with WD40 and an oiling. This freed the handles and the thumb wheel, which all worked fine. However, still no spin, so time for Christmas dinner.

Boxing Day saw me return, stripping down the central boss, cleaning that and the bush and pin. All where filthy and horribly sticky.

With some trepidation, I put her together again, adjusted the grub screw, and was hugely relieved to find that she spins like a dream and has not a hint of a wobble. Firm pressure with thumbs on both sides of the front plate results in absolutely no movement. I now have 4 Rapidex types and whilst she may the the worst cosmetically, she is in the best working order.

There is only one, slightly strange, issue. I flipped over the pawl, as I have done with every Rapidex and Trudex I have fixed up, and the ratchet fails to engage. I tried the pawls from my other Floatcraft and an early Rapidex I have but they are all the same. I learned to use line off the top some years ago and will do this but I did wonder if anyone has come across this issue before? The ratchet mechanism looks identical to the other two whose pawls I tried but something must be different!
ImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Keston
Tench

Re: Guilty pleasures II ....... another Floatcraft

Post by Keston »

Thats a nice reel , did you ever figure out the pawl issue ?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 pm Thats a nice reel , did you ever figure out the pawl issue ?
Sadly no, I didn’t! Ended up trying every pawl from every Trudex and Rapidex I have (including the Sealey’s plus my brothers Rapidex) but they are all the same. Thankfully, I learned to use ‘pins with line off the tip early I to this lark, so I can live with it. However, it is a mystery as I’ve yet to hear of another where you can’t just flip the pawl over!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Duckett wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 pm
Keston wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 pm Thats a nice reel , did you ever figure out the pawl issue ?
Sadly no, I didn’t! Ended up trying every pawl from every Trudex and Rapidex I have (including the Sealey’s plus my brothers Rapidex) but they are all the same. Thankfully, I learned to use ‘pins with line off the tip early I to this lark, so I can live with it. However, it is a mystery as I’ve yet to hear of another where you can’t just flip the pawl over!

Phil
Bit of strange one then . Dont think I have ever checked but might do at some point .
John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Rapidex/Trudex pawls are not usually able to be flipped over for left hand wind and work.

It's usually necessary to work the pawl a little to stop it snagging.

This not only lets it work OK for left hand wind but it also makes the retrieval less effort than letting line out, so a running fish has a bit more work to do.

Millward seem to have persuaded JW Young to continue to cast their reels from the very first die made in 1947 for the Rapidex. All the other reels in this stable got different castings quite soon. They kept the metal check lever too and the wrinkle finish paint.

Sometime in the early Sixties Millward had their Floatcraft reel made form a Trudex casting instead....1963 possibly?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nobby wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am The Rapidex/Trudex pawls are not usually able to be flipped over for left hand wind and work.

It's usually necessary to work the pawl a little to stop it snagging.

This not only lets it work OK for left hand wind but it also makes the retrieval less effort than letting line out, so a running fish has a bit more work to do.

Millward seem to have persuaded JW Young to continue to cast their reels from the very first die made in 1947 for the Rapidex. All the other reels in this stable got different castings quite soon. They kept the metal check lever too and the wrinkle finish paint.

Sometime in the early Sixties Millward had their Floatcraft reel made form a Trudex casting instead....1963 possibly?
Thanks Nobby. That’s really interesting. Daft thing is, I have 9 Trudex/Rapidex types and this is the only one were flipping the pawl hasn’t worked perfectly well. Have I just been lucky?

That said, I’m going to take a look at following your instructions! Many thanks.

Edit ….. sorry, I should have added that I have one early Rapidex, badged as such, and another Floatcraft. They are both fine. Ok, so I’m greedy!

Phil

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Haha I have never had one that I could just flip and it work, though I had read of others being this lucky. Obviously I bought all the wrong reels.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”