A Roach, definitely!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Catfish.017
Eel

A Roach, definitely!

Post by Catfish.017 »

Back to the junction this afternoon and despite the wind having a Westerly flavour it was very cold! I fished two or three swims of a moderately sheltered nature, most of which had troublesome quantities of leaves both on the surface and the bottom. For the last hour I decided to brave the corner facing the wind where I lost the Perch yesterday. I put a little feed in on arrival but sat a few yards further down the channel to begin with, flicking a few maggots out into the boat channel. It was a good move as third cast in I got a good rattle on the tip and a lovely twelve ounce Roach in the net, phew! After a quiet ten minutes I had a cast or two on the corner but again leaves on the bottom were problematic. Back in the successful spot I had an eight ounce Roach before a chilly dusk encouraged me to pack up. I had already had several enquiries as to the level of my sanity!

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: A Roach, definitely!

Post by TrentFisher »

Catfish.017 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:00 pm Back to the junction this afternoon and despite the wind having a Westerly flavour it was very cold! I fished two or three swims of a moderately sheltered nature, most of which had troublesome quantities of leaves both on the surface and the bottom. For the last hour I decided to brave the corner facing the wind where I lost the Perch yesterday. I put a little feed in on arrival but sat a few yards further down the channel to begin with, flicking a few maggots out into the boat channel. It was a good move as third cast in I got a good rattle on the tip and a lovely twelve ounce Roach in the net, phew! After a quiet ten minutes I had a cast or two on the corner but again leaves on the bottom were problematic. Back in the successful spot I had an eight ounce Roach before a chilly dusk encouraged me to pack up. I had already had several enquiries as to the level of my sanity!
Good result for your efforts.I was outside today sorting out some rods and yes it was cold.
Roach if you can locate them do seem willing feeders in the colder weather.
My last trip on the Trent saw me land just one roach but that was down to me as I missed 4 other chances.
Enjoy your next outing and I will chasing those Trent roach up to the end of the season.
Best Regards
Nige.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

As beautifully illustrated in the Mid Winter Madness episode of APFA, the Roach is the most appropriate of fish for the darkening hour of a Winters afternoon. That steely blue sheen so matches the atmosphere on a cold day. Perfick!

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

You did better than me, never had a bite on my club lake fishing flake on the bottom for roach. Should have tried the canal, at least the odd boat stirs them up a bit. If nothing else they will turn to face the flow when the locks open and sometimes that's all it takes to get a bite or two. Nice work in difficult conditions. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Eric, there is a good number of fish in this junction section and one can almost always expect a bite off something. Roach, Bream, hybrids, Chub, Perch, Pike and Zander all have their favoured spots in this hundred odd yards long pound between two locks. The exit to the Coventry canal does not have a lock so the fish can easily move out should they wish to but I've not caught much even just a few yards outside the junction. When I started fishing there this time last year it surprised me how willing the fish were to feed in the coldest of weather and not just at dusk either. Several times last Winter I caught Roach, Perch and Bream on days when I had to push ice floes around to clear my chosen swim!

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I know the area, but I've never bait fished as I was 100pc lure fishing at the time. Speaking of fishing canals in hard weather, I don't think we ever blanked on lures when the canal had ice on it. Perch would always feed somewhere and we have caught a great many stripeys fishing in the six inch wide, ice-free strip against the bank. I always liked that stretch from Fradley junction to Alrewas, a lot cleaner than the Ashby.

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

fantastic videos eric thanks for sharing

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

That's kind, thank you.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

EricW wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 pm I know the area, but I've never bait fished as I was 100pc lure fishing at the time. Speaking of fishing canals in hard weather, I don't think we ever blanked on lures when the canal had ice on it. Perch would always feed somewhere and we have caught a great many stripeys fishing in the six inch wide, ice-free strip against the bank. I always liked that stretch from Fradley junction to Alrewas, a lot cleaner than the Ashby.
[/quote
Eric, did you ever fish where the canal joins into the Trent at Alrewas? An interesting area, lots of Perch present but few specimens. I'm going to fish the turning bay at Alrewas this afternoon. Watch this space!

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Yes, a good area for chub I was told. I seem to recall having one on a lure there. We had some decent fish the other side of the A38 including a rogue carp all the way through the village to the bottom lock but not much between the lock and the trent surprisingly.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”