Another Merlin saved.

The Mordex Reels forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Another Merlin saved.

Post by Silfield »

I have always liked the look of the Merlin but had never used one, so with the need for another winter project I took a serious gamble on one knowing that it had issues. That was a couple of months ago now and first impressions were not too positive, so much so that it was tucked away for a rainy day or three.
Twidling my thumbs and with rain forecast I plucked up the courage to pick it up and make a start. It had obviously been dropped from height onto concrete or similar resulting in a bent and cracked rim, bent front face, bent foot, broken line guard and would not turn without grinding but at least the centre boss wasnt cracked!
Straightening the rim and front plate was fairly straightforward although there were radial fractures that needed dealing where the rim joins the front plate so these needed digging out and filling with JB Weld (blooming marvelous stuff). Once hardened it was cleaned up to make it at least presentable. Removing the spokes gave me better access to the spool for a bit more straightening and once reassembled, using a similar principle to trueing a bike wheel it was soon spinning like a top! Still has a little wobble but more than acceptable for what I hope to use it for.
Next I had to think of a way to mend the line guard but a small length of car aerial was found to be just perfect. This was epoxied over the broken bit and cleaned up, then refitted.
I have also added a cork arbour (cork floor tile!) and will get some line on it this weekend ready for a trial.

She wont win any beauty competitions but is functional and one day it may get a full rebuild.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Another Merlin saved.

Post by Old Man River »

Lovely stuff Silfield.. I used JB weld on my dropped Rapidex, the set epoxy is the same colour as the Rapidex body so it did not need any painting , plus it is hard enough for use, but soft enough to finish off with a fine emery paper.

Another use for JB weld is to repair cracked lined rod guides. it is easily applied and so long as the damage is on the inside of the guide, it is not visible .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Great stuff Silfield.
I've used Mordex reels since I was a lad.
They were affordable, no nonsense reels at the time.
Still occasionally use a Major and a Mentor.

Still searching for a METAL CENTRE BOSS to repair my Merlin.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Wanderer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:39 am
Still searching for a METAL CENTRE BOSS to repair my Merlin.

All the best.
I cant promise as it may not happen but I was going to look into the feasibility of making one for mine. If It turns out ok I will make another for you.
I do tend to procrastinate before taking the plunge into jobs like this but will give it some thought.
All the best.
Ian.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done! I had to smile at your comment "straightening the rim and front plate was fairly straightforward" :surrender: For many of us less talented souls this would be anything but straightforward :Hahaha: An excellent result, it looks great! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Silfield, sent you a pm..

Hope you get it.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Wanderer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:05 am Silfield, sent you a pm..

Hope you get it.
Not yet Sir, but I am at work at the moment so I may have something when I get back home.
Washington Irving

Return to “Mordex Reels”