Back to the canal.

This forum is for discussing chub.
Catfish.017
Eel

Back to the canal.

Post by Catfish.017 »

Well the ridiculously high temperatures have gone and we probably won't see the like again until March maybe April. I had some nice fish on the canal over the mild spell, but despite trying most of their usual haunts, no Chub graced my net in these sessions. So yesterday I made the trek up to Wood End Lock, the most reliable area for the species. As I walked the sweeping bend leading to the lock I baited two spots (The Signpost and the Reedbed) with a little bread mash before arriving at the lock. The water was clear though not desperately so and the sun rather bright, so the lock with its broken water courtesy of the overspill from above, was a good place to start. I legered a piece of flake, casting all around the lock area and then to the several permanently moored boats close by. An hour in I arrived at the Reedbed. Now few people walk this section as the towpath is very muddy, however as I settled in, a couple I had met a few weeks ago stopped again to chat. As we talked I glanced down occasionally at the rod top. After a couple of minutes I looked down to see the tip pulled right round. A fumbled, hasty strike failed to connect. The couple moved on and next cast a three pound Bream took the bait. Soon after another couple stopped to chat. The chap was an angler and as his female companion maintained most of the conversation, he watched my rod top intently. We both saw it bounce and spring back straight and I was soon in no doubt I was attached to a decent Chub. Around three and a half pounds and very lightly hooked outside the lip. And that was my last bite of the afternoon, no more walkers no more fish!

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: Back to the canal.

Post by TrentFisher »

Excellent result .Nice to hear you netted that chub.
I think bread in general is overlooked by many modern anglers. I use it to good effect on the Trent and it does wheedle out some better fish.
I use homemade punches from around 6mm to 15mm the larger discs are gently folded over and hooked via the fold for a good hook hold.
Feed is either mash or liquidized bread (this is pulped not too fine most of the time)
On the Trent 10mm seems to work best most of the time.
I am enjoying your reports.
All the best -Nige.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good result Catfish :Sun:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

TrentFisher wrote: ↑Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:56 am Excellent result .Nice to hear you netted that chub.
I think bread in general is overlooked by many modern anglers. I use it to good effect on the Trent and it does wheedle out some better fish.
I use homemade punches from around 6mm to 15mm the larger discs are gently folded over and hooked via the fold for a good hook hold.
Feed is either mash or liquidized bread (this is pulped not too fine most of the time)
On the Trent 10mm seems to work best most of the time.
I am enjoying your reports.
All the best -Nige.
For thirty odd years a bread punch sat in my box, made out of a 3/8" brass ferrule. I had watched a chap win a match on the Bristol Avon using such a punch to catch a net ful of half pound Roach. The following week I visited the tackle shop, bought the ferrule and made the punch. I'd like to say that it caught me many fish and won matches for me, but in truth our Roach in a Swansea Park Lake preferred the size of punch made using an old Biro casing. Then a few years ago I was casting around for a suitable ferrule to join a cane ten footer and that old punch was perfect! I think it probably cost around five shillings in 1972!

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

That happened to a chap I was talking to yesterday at dusk. He had been fishing all day without a fish to his name. As he was facing me talking about his recent retirement his rod tip went 'Dink Dink Wallop!' 'YOUR ROD TIP" I shouted, he turned around and lifted the rod. He reeled in fresh air. I felt so bad and that's why I really try not to talk to anglers too much when they're fishing. He packed up minutes later and didn't look too pleased.
Glad you caught Catfish πŸ‘
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Fishing the local cut a couple of years ago I was catching good roach on flake with liquidised bread. Had about a dozen then started missing bites. Switched to punch and had five on the trot. Lesson learnt!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to β€œChub (Leuciscus cephalus)”