Who needs I line Guard, I do!

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Re: Who needs I line Guard, I do!

Post by Phil Arnott »

I'm a line guard man as I find I get less tangles particularly when windy. Another useful feature is a clicker which helps when tackling up or when putting the rod to one side when choosing to fish with another rod for instance. I've retired my more collectable centrepins and use an Okuma Kennet as my go to centrepin. It is the line guard version of the Sheffield.

Apart from not being able to bat the reel to recover line can anyone suggest other disadvantages

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

It is often been said that the line guard hinders Wallis casting. I have two reels with a line guard (an early Dave Swallow and a G&Y Matchmaker) together with a couple of Aventas and another later Swallow. but as I don't fish far enough out to require the Wallis cast (rather I'm too lazy or inept at mastering it) then There are no disadvantages as far as I can see and I do wish from time to time that they all possessed one. I tend to use a 'finger in the spool' technique on retrieve so batting the reel would not be an issue.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

I've read more than a few angling blogs about centrepin fishing and a lot of anglers say they use a closed face reel when it's windy. Probably because of the same sort of problems when fishing with a centrepin.

I remember Ian Heaps writing about his early fishing days and when it came to centrepins he wrote the first job after buying one was to remove the line guard if it had one, remove the handles and load the line so it came off the top of the reel.

On another forum, one angler responded that he had purchased the same make of reel as another poster, but being a matchman, he had removed the handles, line guard and even the ratchet assembly.

That puzzled me for a while, but perhaps being a matchman he was using fine lines which can get behind the spool. I've had that happen a few times and there's no doubt a nasty, greasy snarl of line around the sharp ratchet spring can ruin your fishing.

I don't use them. Preferring to bat the reel to reel in. On windy days I ledger with a fixed spool!. Sometimes it's just the occasional gust so I hold the line in my free hand to prevent having the same problem as you.

Then there is the technical stuff that really needs Nobby to explain, but as I understand it, a heavy spool has a flywheel effect which spins and keeps spinning even when line is not needed, this obviously creates a loop of line that can get blown around the back of the spool.

A lighter spool will perhaps not spin for an hour, like in the YouTube videos, but it gives out line as freely, and crucially, also slows down quicker.

The answer is constant thumb control with the former reel. Obviously concentration can slip and loops can form, but that is usually only one coil. Look at it as an automatic holding back feature!

All the best.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Yes we hear of these fantastic spin times but in reality they mean very little. We see the same with tournament multipliers. Often these are spun up with electric drills off camera!

Educate your thumb and apply the ratchet whenever you need to be hands free

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Alistair Spot on. Educate your thumb and apply the ratchet whenever you need to be hands free

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

All very interesting comments.
I did call the chap recommended by Tangisgol, and had a chat to him and really was thinking of sending the reel off.
I then thought that batting the reel would be difficult with such a guard...
I do like the small one on my Bakelite Allcox.
I have got on ok without it to a fashion but have to put on my glasses to see if it has gone round the reel seat..3lbs line, its ok feeling for it but I need to know.
I suppose different folks different strokes...
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

I completely understand the fun in whizzing a pin around for ages. I've done it myself. However, should that happen in an actual fishing situation it may be that you're gonna need a bigger boat.

Most centrepin fishing videos focus on trotting, with the pin revolving away in that satisfying way, again completely understandable, that's what they are for after all.

Few involve the other benefit of a pin, which is to inch the float through in a slow swim under complete control.

The useful angling accessory in those situations is once again the humble thumb. Either to give line when needed or to stop the reel completely.

So, up with the thumb. And thumbs up😁

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”